bars levers wrist ache

General Bike chat
zakisbak

bars levers wrist ache

Post by zakisbak »

Is my painful left wrist likely to be caused by the low bars or the apparently stiff clutch?
Or both?
I don't want to do work and find the problem remains.
Thinking of raised bars or vfr bars and/or clutch bleed/braided lines/inspection of clutch + slave cylinders.
fabiostar

Re: bars levers wrist ache

Post by fabiostar »

all of the above, you dont have shorty levers on it? :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

zakisbak wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:18 pm Is my painful left wrist likely to be caused by the low bars or the apparently stiff clutch?
Or both?
I don't want to do work and find the problem remains.
Thinking of raised bars or vfr bars and/or clutch bleed/braided lines/inspection of clutch + slave cylinders.
Just book a test ride of a bike with higher bars to see if your wrist still plays up.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Same here with both wrists....no matter how much I exercise them they dont get any better :lol:
Its worse in traffic with lots of braking and clutch work but even gripping the bars hurst after a while. On the way back from the 25th last year my right wrist and hand locked up. I have to put up with it now but it limits daily mileage a lot.
Mototrick

Post by Mototrick »

I think most of us suffer to some degree. I fitted the clipons from later Firestorms (2002 on i think), which are marginally taller and slightly further back. The difference was obvious when i had the old and newer clipons side-by-side.
By far the biggest difference was fitting a radial clutch MC, from a Ducati Panigale. I made a little DIY post about it last year. This has halved the clutch lever pressure required. Perfect for commuting.
Last edited by Mototrick on Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mototrick

Post by Mototrick »

Post is here: viewtopic.php?t=45356
zakisbak

Post by zakisbak »

Thanks for replies.
I plan to turn the clip ons upside down so they angle up a bit and fit lower footpegs to take a bit of weight off my wrists.
Then maybe vfr bars or bar risers.

I've not had this problem on other bikes with higher bars.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

if ur as old as say me :eek2 options are. VFR750 bars, brilliant. top yoke conversion, game changer or what iv got atm at least is 3" apex riser clipons..
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Another vote for flat bar conversion. Initially i was worried about spoiling the bike by having to cut the fairing, but if you get the correct parts there is only a very small amount you need to remove from the bottom lip and it is very hard to see the change. The riding position is much easier to use every day and still works ok on track days, plus it enhances the character of the storm as a big supermoto for riding your favourite B roads
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:06 am Another vote for flat bar conversion. Initially i was worried about spoiling the bike by having to cut the fairing, but if you get the correct parts there is only a very small amount you need to remove from the bottom lip and it is very hard to see the change. The riding position is much easier to use every day and still works ok on track days, plus it enhances the character of the storm as a big supermoto for riding your favourite B roads
pretty much nail on the head :clap: