Hi from Reading

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Hi from Reading

Post by sirch345 »

If not already done (a job to tell from the photo exactly) you can fit a take off adaptor for the front cylinder to attach a hose you'll need when you wish to balance the carbs. So much easier to fit while you have the carbs off. The threaded hole is just below the righthand side of the front inlet manifold rubber, it looks like a hose is covering it in the photo :?:

When the hose is not being used just fit a bolt or a golfing tee in the open end,

Chris.
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

On the bearing, just me and the noise/grumble some make at idle, clutch in. Most owners don't care and put up with it, then some bikes dont seem to do it either. Its the third go with a different bearing source and date code.
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:13 pm If not already done (a job to tell from the photo exactly) you can fit a take off adaptor for the front cylinder to attach a hose you'll need when you wish to balance the carbs. So much easier to fit while you have the carbs off. The threaded hole is just below the righthand side of the front inlet manifold rubber, it looks like a hose is covering it in the photo :?:

When the hose is not being used just fit a bolt or a golfing tee in the open end,

Chris.
Good call :thumbup:

There's not one fitted at present, so I'll do that.
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

Commando77 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:48 pm On the bearing, just me and the noise/grumble some make at idle, clutch in. Most owners don't care and put up with it, then some bikes dont seem to do it either. Its the third go with a different bearing source and date code.
Do they fail...or just make a noise?

Mine is quiet, but it's only done 9K mikes from new.
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

What do you all do to use a rear paddock stand?

I'm currently using a long screw driver through the hollow axle, then paddock stand hooks. But it's a bit fiddly and wobbly...also bends the screw driver.

I've seen a few pics where owners have drilled and tapped the swingarm to fit bobbins, but not convinced that won't weaken the arm.

Going to try paddock stand 'cups' next under the swingarm.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

There are various ways to use a hook type padock stand. 1/ fit bobbins to the swing arm. either drill & tap or have some bosses welded underneath. 2/ a through the spindle bar with bobbins on the end. 3/ there are adapters that fit in each side of the of the spindle with the bobbins.

2/3 both types ok for lifting to do the chain/clean wheel/ other work on bike but you cant take the wheel out with either type.

Either stick with the cup type or better still invest in an ABBA stand.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

MacV2 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:18 am There are various ways to use a hook type padock stand. 1/ fit bobbins to the swing arm. either drill & tap or have some bosses welded underneath. 2/ a through the spindle bar with bobbins on the end. 3/ there are adapters that fit in each side of the of the spindle with the bobbins.

2/3 both types ok for lifting to do the chain/clean wheel/ other work on bike but you cant take the wheel out with either type.

Either stick with the cup type or better still invest in an ABBA stand.
Cheers.
I like the welding bosses on for bobbins idea (if I can find someone to do it).
I also like the access to remove the wheel, so will try the cup type...think I have a pair somewhere.
I've got an Abba stand, but stopped using it when I got my lift bench, as it is too wide to fit on the bench.
I need the lift bench as I'm now too old to be crawling around on the floor fettling bikes :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

purgeraptor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:48 pm Into the gizzards :D

Apart from the manual CCTs, checking the valve shims and changing the carb pilot jets to #48, any other jobs I should be doing whilst this far in?

When you’re in there, it’s worth fitting a vacuum take off (and a length of vac hose) to the front intake so you can balance the carbs without taking the tank off. There should be a link in the workshop section
AMcQ
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

Cheers, Chris mentioned that too :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I drilled into the swing arm and fitted bobbins with no issues whatsoever, even when sitting in the bike while in the stand, over many years. Just make sure you fit short bobbins that sit flush with the arm, and make sure that you use m8 fine taps and Allen screws.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:55 am I drilled into the swing arm and fitted bobbins with no issues whatsoever, even when sitting in the bike while in the stand, over many years. Just make sure you fit short bobbins that sit flush with the arm, and make sure that you use m8 fine taps and Allen screws.
Thanks, that's really useful :thumbup:
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

purgeraptor wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:02 am
tony.mon wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:55 am I drilled into the swing arm and fitted bobbins with no issues whatsoever, even when sitting in the bike while in the stand, over many years. Just make sure you fit short bobbins that sit flush with the arm, and make sure that you use m8 fine taps and Allen screws.
Thanks, that's really useful :thumbup:
Can you remember the thickness of the swingarm walling?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's about 4mm.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:39 pm It's about 4mm.
That's quite substantial....I'll give it a go :thumbup:
purgeraptor

Post by purgeraptor »

Another question :lol:

Fitted the manual CCTs today and set the chain slack to 6mm.
Was surprised at how tight the chains were tensioned by the OEM auto CCTs before I started...hardly 2mm of play in each.

Why is it recommended to set the manual CCT slack much looser in comparison?