Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
fabiostar

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by fabiostar »

Just getting my beer ready for this one :beer:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:43 pm the videos are amazingly easy to do Chris, using movie maker on my iPhone. I already had the photos of the build on there, and just made one of it running with a walk around... its a great Apple App! I am finding I am doing quite a few now and putting them on YouTube!
That's interesting Tony. Is it possible to let me know the App you use (it looks like I need the exact name?) as there are many photo/video editors in the Apple Store :problem:

Thanks for posting up the video :thumbup:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:51 pm
buzzer wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:43 pm the videos are amazingly easy to do Chris, using movie maker on my iPhone. I already had the photos of the build on there, and just made one of it running with a walk around... its a great Apple App! I am finding I am doing quite a few now and putting them on YouTube!
That's interesting Tony. Is it possible to let me know the App you use (it looks like I need the exact name?) as there are many photo/video editors in the Apple Store :problem:

Chris.

its imovie... it comes already on the Iphone I think... there are others, but I find that the best one as its easy. there are some good youtube tutorials
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:00 am
sirch345 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:51 pm

Chris.

its imovie... it comes already on the Iphone I think... there are others, but I find that the best one as its easy. there are some good youtube tutorials
Thank you Tony :thumbup:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

As I wanted this to be different to the other builds, I tried several other tanks… I had an ST4 tank and a Monster tank that had too many holes to repair, so I cut these down… while I liked the ST tank, I couldn’t get the seat to tie in… I didn’t like the monster tank… So off to the bike breakers… he gave me the key to his storage unit... and said "say hi to the ghost!"

I walked around looking at the hundreds of tanks in there, discounting the plastic ones, of which there were many… the slope of the frame makes the choices limited... Nothing took my eye. Its a VERY old building though, and I have to say it spooked me somewhat being in there on my own, lots of creaking noises, and scuttling sounds which were probably rats... :think: :think: I didn't stay longer than I needed!

In the end I went back to the 999 tank I have used before. Another with some holes in the bottom where its rusted out.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You'd have to cut a fair bit off the ST tank to bring the rear down to meet the seat base, and likely lose so much capacity you might as well stick with the one you know that works without too much work.

The modified ST tank would look a bit more aggressive, though, with the large shoulders at the front. Depends how it would fit with knee cutouts, I guess.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

tony.mon wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:35 am You'd have to cut a fair bit off the ST tank to bring the rear down to meet the seat base, and likely lose so much capacity you might as well stick with the one you know that works without too much work.

The modified ST tank would look a bit more aggressive, though, with the large shoulders at the front. Depends how it would fit with knee cutouts, I guess.
I liked the ST tank, but i couldn't make it work with the seat... if I slid it down the frame, it didn't look right.

However, capacity is never a problem to me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

buzzer

Post by buzzer »

While I love the look of a nice velocity stack they are not really practical for the road, hence while I make them for the photos I take, I like to use foam filters on the road. this of course means I need some suitable adaptors, which although you can buy them are REALLY expensive. these took a while to machine out of billet! I sometimes get asked where I get my material from for the lathe and miller. I am really lucky that there is a scrap yard locally that lets me hunt through the bins! They take scrap in from some of the aerospace companies so there are sometimes some nice bar ends in the skips. What is great about that is the bar ends are often etched with the material specification!

I don’t usually pay as I take my scrap in there and he writes the value in the back of his desk diary, and then as I take stuff, he takes the value off! he has done this for me for over 30 years! A few years ago I went in early in the year… he was no longer there as he had retired and I learned that his grandson had taken the company over. We chatted and I mentioned about the diary as I had a few pounds credit… The lad said he knew all about it and it was in the back of the book!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

All looking great 8)

Handy having a scrapyard like that near you 8)
I like your bartering system, brilliant :clap: :clap:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Time to start the fabrication of the back end. I decided to use some rose joints as I like the look they bring to a build. Experience has taught me to tack everything up first before welding fully! its going to be a very stubby back end, I have also used three 10mm LED as a stop and tail light. they are amazingly bright

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Hope you ain’t got a fat butt as that seat frame is tiny . Looks good tho , 👍👍
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Shame you can't get an MOT if you also put the rear indicators in there ...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That's a neat ideal with the LED's :D
I also think rose joints look good there for what you are doing 8)

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:51 pm Shame you can't get an MOT if you also put the rear indicators in there ...
this is true... there is a min distance between them...

Making the exhaust retaining flange out of 15mm alloy plate was quick and easy…

As an aside, that tin of marking blue is 50 years old, given to me by my Dad, along with one of my treasured possessions, a 0 – 1″ micrometre when I was 15 years old. Not much left in the tin now, but its still usable.

when I was a kid, I used some of that blue on the eye pieces of my brothers binoculars.. 8O he still mentions it now!

The stainless steel collar however took an absolute age to make! I should have really used some stainless pipe, but its an odd size and I couldn’t get any that would fit, so I ended up machining it out of a solid piece of bar stock. I hate working with stainless… everything you do with it makes your life hard, just like the material!

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yep, funny stuff, stainless. I had a food production machinery business a lot of years ago, and we only worked with food spec stainless.
Once you got used to it, it was fine, but you ground your tools- lathe tools, drills, pantograph cutters, milling cutters- differently, even tig welding was different to other materials.
But then when you tried to work with other materials it was a nightmare, as your stainless habitual angles and speeds just didn't work.

Turning brass, for example, using stainless ground tools gives you terrible chatter. You wouldn't think that a few degrees would make that much difference, but it does.