Newbie question regarding paint spraying

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
ChrisSwindon

Newbie question regarding paint spraying

Post by ChrisSwindon »

Hi guys,

So having sorted a few of the mechanicals out, I’ve now decided to be impulsive and got myself a hvlp spray gun having never used one, or painted anything besides a house wall.

As usual I’ve purchased a tool without researching what is actually involved and now find myself whirling around in a maelstrom of advice and information, so I thought it may prove useful to ask an audience of ‘VTR’ers who most likely have done what I aim to do.

My plan is to strip bike down to just the frame so that I can spray it gloss or satin black (haven’t really decided as yet) and then to fix fairing cracks, dents and chips with some type of repair kit. Then prime, basecoat, and Clearcoat. So a total bloody paint job really.

Time is not important, I can spend as long as required to make it a good job, well as much as a newbie knobhead like me can, so to the questions

1, what primer is best to use, 2k?
2, does anyone have any recommendations for specific basecoat paint brands?, and where the pissing hell do I get them as my usual go to’s…Amazon and eBay seem awash with only rattle can fair
3, would an old tent with a fan heater inside be ok as a make shift booth in my garage?

A few mates have said it would be cheaper and give a better finish to just pay a professional, I don’t want to do this as I want to learn how to do a passable job myself as it will stand me in good stead for future projects.

Any and all advice welcomed.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Newbie question regarding paint spraying

Post by sirch345 »

First off I have to say well done in giving this a go :thumbup:
Just remember if you're going to be working with 2K materials the dangers of it, make sure you use the appropriate face mask.

Have a look at this link by Buzza (aka Tony) on how he sprays paint. A very informative and interesting read 8)
https://jtccc.wordpress.com/projects-2/ ... g-at-home/

Link taken from here: https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 66#p499966

The only thing I can see wrong so far will be a fan heater, as this I am sure if in an enclosed area will without doubt create too much dust for paint spraying,

Chris.
ChrisSwindon

Post by ChrisSwindon »

Thank you for the quick reply Chris, that link was EPIC! must have read the whole thing three times so far. Need to find a reputable paint supplier now 👌
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Paint is the easy bit .
The prep is the hard part and most time consuming .
The level of finish will greatly depend on the level of prep you do .
Once you’ve done the prep you’ll need a warm dry clean ventilated place to pain .

I used to be a painter 20 years ago and no way can I be arsed to do it again . Much better and cheaper to let a pro do it .
If your on Facebook have a look at WOBBZ page , he will be doing my fireblade and at a very reasonable price .
ChrisSwindon

Post by ChrisSwindon »

Wow, that wobbz chap is massively talented! Definitely someone to go to for high end finishes.

However I really would like to learn, and give it a go myself…

I have found a 2k black gloss kit on Amazon, I’ve posted a photo of it, would this be good enough if I strip original paint off first (wheels) and put 2k etch primer on before I spray the black?

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Should be good just make sure what your painting is clean and ready to paint when you add the harder to the paint as it’ll go off quick .
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

the best I can offer is a link to my painting guide on my blog :thumbup:

https://jtccc.wordpress.com/projects-2/ ... g-at-home/

any specific questions, just ask. I have been at this for years but have tried to keep up with modern paints and techniques :D
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

As others have said: full face mask for 2K paint and the prep is the most important thing. Sand everything back, then a light dusting of black before sanding back so that is all removed. Then you have a flat surface.

Light layers built up then sanding back with 400 grit wet and dry (wet); as many times as you want. Then more 400 wet and dry to flat the paint back before layers of lacquer, more wet and dry and then polishing. Sorted!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk