From 107 to 128

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: From 107 to 128

Post by sirch345 »

lloydie wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:07 pm
freeridenick wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:48 pm Now the stage 2 engine is out I've got a little ahead of myself and started to think about what to do with the rebuild. Given it's not going to be a track bike it opens up the options but I'm not sure which to choose. Input welcome

1) Full on race rep, eventually with ram air. Given this is and ex-race frame and now had 'Blade forks and race bodywork this was my first idea. But there are a few like this; Fabio's, Yeti's, GLRS's.
2) Semi-street sleeper. Basically the above but wrapped in stock bodywork. The trouble with this one is that the 'Blade forks and Mori exhaust are too obvious as mods.
3) Semi-naked special. I've still got the polished cases so a matt black frame/swingarm and satin black engine would look great. Flat bars on the 'blade forks and some sort of bodywork to hide the rads and it could look cool. Or it could look Image.

What ever one that’ll get used the most . No point building it not to use . .
I like that too :lol:

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Good advice Lloydie. That puts option one out as it's just too much effort and it'll be ages before I'm riding it.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

The stage 2 engine is in pieces ready for paint before rebuilding. I had a bit of a wobble thinking the pistons and bores were knackered but several conversations with Roger and some photos left me happier. There are score marks on both but the ones in the bores can't be felt with a fingernail and the ones on the pistons are very light. Roger has inspected the pistons and concluded they are serviceable.

Checking the oil clearances of the Stg2 cams in my big value heads shows they're slap bang in the middle of the standard values. That's them going on the engine instead of the stock valve heads it came with. So there will probably be a set of Yoshi stg1 cams for sale soon and quite a lot of other bits; no point in me keeping stuff that's not going on this bike.

It feels like my luck might have turned.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That's better!
What valve springs are you using with the stage 2 cams and oversize valves?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:36 pm That's better!
The Mori ones that came with the cams.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

freeridenick wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:40 pm
tony.mon wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:36 pm That's better!
The Mori ones that came with the cams.
looks like a corner has been turned :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I was going to start a new thread for the rebuild but it's more of an evolution than a new bike so - the track bike is dead, long live the road bike.

While I've been waiting for the engine cases, heads and some small parts to be ceramic coated I stripped the frame out and cleaned it up, and got that and the swingarm off for powder coating. I repaired the loom and bought loads of consumable parts so I think I'm pretty much set for an easy rebuild

I picked the coated parts up yesterday but need to wait until Monday for them to cure completely before I can start the engine rebuild. My main problem is what consumer units to buy for the electrics. I need headlight, stop/tail and indicators but I've nothing to mount them too. And I need to make a decision quickly if I'm going to get the bike built in time for the TT practice week.

Advice and thoughts welcome. For the TT it'll have to go together with the track bodywork or as a naked bike. In the long run the plan is to use different bodywork so in making the lighting decision I have half an eye on the end look. If it looks odd in the meantime I'm not fussed.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Finally, and it's about chuffing time, my engine is more or less finished. Just a double check of the cam timing to do and then I can stick the covers on and get it in the frame.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:39 pm Finally, and it's about chuffing time, my engine is more or less finished. Just a double check of the cam timing to do and then I can stick the covers on and get it in the frame.

Good news to hear you are getting there Nick, I hope it all goes well :thumbup:

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

We'll that took somewhat longer than expected. The cam timing was a learning curve: definitely something that's easy to comprehend but less easy to do. Some lessons learned but a great feeling to have it more less buttoned up and ready to go in the frame. I might actually have a running bike by the end of the year.
Attachments
PXL_20221029_164515035.MP~2.jpg
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

WOW that looks amazing Nick :thumbup:
I bet you're pleased to be at this stage,

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

sirch345 wrote:WOW that looks amazing Nick Image
I bet you're pleased to be at this stage,

Chris.
Extremely pleased Chris. I think I've got everything collected together to get back to road trim so plain sailing from here on. Image

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Tempting fate there Nick😉
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If it goes like it looks you'll be happy :thumbup:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

be shame to cover that engine up :eek2 :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: