Keeper

General Bike chat
marko

Keeper

Post by marko »

Morning all.a while back I made the decision that I was going to sell the storm And get something that just isn't so torcherous on my bloody back after out for more than an hour.after looking around I realised I do actually enjoy riding it and love the sound ect .I looked at a multistrada and a beemer gs but decided I'm gonna go along with the straight bar conversion on the storm.i know I would regret it if got rid so I'm looking forward to see what the riding position is like after conversion.phew I can't believe I nearly got rid.close shave.
Kev L

Re: Keeper

Post by Kev L »

Well done mate, good luck with the transformation. Al McQ, Mac and Sirch have all gone down that route (amongst others) and I’m sure they will offer you guidance should you need it.
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Indeed I have done the flat bar conversion to one of my Storms.

Now as I have the luxury of being able to swap between clip ons & flat bar...Whats the difference ?

Well depending on how much you ride, i'm daily as no car, it may take a while to get used to it, I've never really had an issue with the sore wrists every one complains about as I ride almost every day, so you get used to it.

With the flat bar I find two major differences... I find that my palms get sore from the way you/I lean on them, relaxing a bit helps that tho. The second thing is your more up in the wind blast So long rides are more tiring on neck, shoulders...

I have std fiarings lightly trimmed on the ears, with a DB screen. I do however run 600f4i callipres & have the square res pots so they are lower.

I'ts like riding a different bike. My one is running a 6mm shock spacer so the rear is higher, the flat bars take weight off the front so you will find it handels a bit differently to std.

I have a Cool n Comfy conversion on mine which is a full top yoke swap.

I do have in the parts stash an ABM set up which is a flat plate that just sits on top of the standard yoke...
ABM 1.jpg
ABM 2.jpg
ABM 3.jpg
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
marko

Post by marko »

Thanks guys for info.i already bought a pair of risers last year when I was thinking about conversion.they are from moto CNC.damned if I can remember if I will have to remove part of fairing when on full lock.seem good quality.already have the renthals so no excuses now.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Mark, the reason I went with the Renthal Ultra low handlebar conversion was due to the pain I was getting in my neck and shoulders. I get none of that now with the more upright riding position.

How I did my conversion meant I haven't needed to trim the fairing at all.

You can read all about it from this link here:
https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=41099

Chris.
marko

Post by marko »

Thanks will post some pics when I'm done.appreciate your time.mark
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

marko wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:06 pm Thanks guys for info.i already bought a pair of risers last year when I was thinking about conversion.they are from moto CNC.damned if I can remember if I will have to remove part of fairing when on full lock.seem good quality.already have the renthals so no excuses now.
i used those on one of my storms and found them great. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I really rate the superbike bar conversion on the storm, here is a link to my conversion. http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 45#p240351

as mentioned above I also found that I needed to put a bit more weight onto the front tyre to compensate for taking my weight off the clips. I took some preload off the forks so they sit a but lower in their stroke and I raised them through the yokes a by 2mm to get back the same feel.

as for the wind protection, I am 6' 2" and there was too much wind blast even with a doublebubble, so I now use the MRA flip touring screen an that works perfectly (but not as pretty as DB)

even though I had the ultra low bend rentals, and kept the rise of the bar mounts as low as I could, I still had to slightly trim the fairing (photos in the post attached), so I think you might have to bite the bullet unless you go for the true flatbars with only a back sweep and no rise at all.

cutting the faring isn't as scary as it sounds, use a dremmel with double cutting discs
AMcQ