A funny thing happened last Sunday

General Bike chat
TaxiDriver

A funny thing happened last Sunday

Post by TaxiDriver »

A strange phenonomon happened last Sunday while I was idling along the A59 towards Clitheroe,I never rush on A roads and motorways preffering to save the fuel for the twisty stuff,anyways a couple of sportsbikes past me at well over a ton,one managing to produce a backfire when he got level,almost immediately my bike starting to struggle and loose power,a bit like when the fuel tap diaphragm is torn.I stopped and had a look round but could'nt notice owt so set off.About a quarter mile it started again,stopped a few minutes and set off.Maybe 20 miles later it really started to struggle and ground to a halt.Let it cool down a bit and away we went with no further trouble arriving back home after a couple more miles.
Just took off the tank and checked the tubes all seem ok and the filter and housing are dry,the plugs were a little oily on the threads so I've put in a new set,hopefuly give it a good spanking over the N York moors tomorrow. :lol:
Steve97

Re: A funny thing happened last Sunday

Post by Steve97 »

Am thinking tank vent pipe blocked or petcock diaphragm torn.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Steve97 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:15 pm Am thinking tank vent pipe blocked or petcock diaphragm torn.
Petcock repaired last year but will keep the vent pipe in mind just in case.............
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Well she ran like a good un' today,as per usual,must of been the plugs so all seems good so far................
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

If you had not long filled the fuel tank and brimmed-it, that can cause the symptoms you mention to happen,

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I had an airlock on the tank vent happen a couple of times, and it always happens after filling the tank to the brim and the bike sitting in the sun. You get about 5 miles and you go onto one cylinder and then it starts to lose both.

First time it happened I couldn't work out what it was and after letting it sit for a while I was able to get it running on one cyl and just started riding home (limping!) and it eventually came back to life and no more problems. But after some research I found out about the airlock issue, and realised the simple solution is to open the petrol cap to release the vacuum.

The second time it happened I was on a dual carriageway heading to the ferry at Holyhead and I start to loose power. This time I am wise and I take the tank bag off, key in the filler cap and I can hear the air rush in when it opens, bag back on and away we go.
AMcQ
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Yea I did open the fuel cap as I thought the same but it did'nt make a difference and the tank was not full so I'm guessing the plugs which have been in since I did the refurb so maybe no wonder.............. :roll: