Gear shifting problem please help SOLVED lol

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Keijo

Gear shifting problem please help SOLVED lol

Post by Keijo »

Hello all, this is my first post to the board, dont know if i should introduce myself so forgive me i will just introduce you to my problem.

I bought a '97 vtr with 77k on the clock. For peanuts. It has had some rough days and it came without a few parts, including the rear cylinder cct. I figured the timing was off (as it was) but bought it anyway. At this point i was able to change gears.
So i got it running and bought the other bits to make it roadworthy. The engine had been running only for very short periods, not even to warm it up. Last night i thought i would take it for a test drive around the block, warm it up and change the oil, but as i tried to put it in 1st gear the lever wouldnt move. Checked the clutch and adjusted it as far as it went. The clutch engaged/disengaged well.

The gear lever wouldnt switch down, only up and now i was stuck in gear with a foulty clutch switch.

Today got a new clutch switch, zip tied the lever to the handlebar and warmed it up. Drained the oil, and hit it with mobil delvac mx 15w40.

Shift lever wont switch down. Its stuck on high gear, i took it for a spin, it was interesting, must be on at least 5th gear.

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on the matter?

Any input greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Keijo on Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony.mon

Re: Gear shifting problem please help

Post by tony.mon »

Can you get it to change gear with the engine off, by rolling it forward and back?
Second question. Does the gear lever move? If not, it must be the selector drum or selector forks in the gearbox.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Keijo

Post by Keijo »

Oh fook the p.o. told me the bike had an akrapovic exhaust fitted before. Now it has stock exhaust and the shift lever was adjusted so low the rear part of the shift lever hit the exhaust bracket thus not being able to shift down 🙈

I had already downed a cold one (or two) on my grieves but when i noticed this i had to fix and test it 😄

Gears work well, 1& 2 are not annoyingly rough.

Pondering do i need to introduce myself to get replies im going straight to the next thing that came to mind:

Along with the akrapovic a jet kit was installed. Havent checked plugs, my nose might say its rich, the question is would a bafflectomy be of benefit? There are already 3 holes drilled on the left and 4 on the right.

Cruising on idle feels rough, its virtually like on or off.
Keijo

Post by Keijo »

Thanks for the reply Tony!

I just posted the same answer i posted to my question on the superhawk forum, i feel a bit dumb but happy af 😅
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to forum. :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Keijo

Post by Keijo »

Thanks alanf!
Kev L

Re: Gear shifting problem please help SOLVED lol

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club. May all your issues be as simple as that one :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Keijo

Post by Keijo »

Thanks kev!

I took her for a few spins and listened to the engine and after more research i felt that i hadnt done a thorough job so off with the valve covers and checked the cam chain slack and valve clearances.

They are a bit off and im thinking should i just ride it until winter and shim them later or not. Covers are off so it would be easy now.

Whats the tolerances on the valve clearances?

I need to search
Keijo

Post by Keijo »

The cam chain slack is 6mm between sprockets, only some valve clearances are off. As in

Front intake 0.17 and 0.14
Front exhaust 0.31 and 0.30

Rear intake 0.09 and 0.10
Rear exhaust 0.31 and 0.21
Keijo

Post by Keijo »

Well my neighboring bike shop had shims in stock so i took the cams out, re-shimmed, and now she is much better!! Also i think the rear timing was one tooth off, it was 3mm over the head, now its 2mm under the head but works much better imo. Wouldnt align properly so thats where im set now.

Perhaps this multi-subject first post of mine can close now. Its a great forum, lots of knowlege i like it 👍👍