Front sprocket 17T - any experience with it?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
desjkee

Front sprocket 17T - any experience with it?

Post by desjkee »

Good afternoon friends!

My name is Egor, I'm from Russia.

Thanks to google translate, I discovered your community yesterday. My English is very bad and at the moment I am writing through a translator, so do not be too surprised by my literacy =)

I read the second day of your forum and can not stop. I read a lot of useful information for myself. In my country, this bike is more dead than alive, so information has to be pieced together. I'm not talking about the topic of the engine, tuning and all kinds of tuned parts, there is almost no information about this. And due to the current situation in the world, it is impossible to buy these very parts.

Well, okay, these are all digressions.

Now to my question.
Let me explain right now why this is for me. In the last few years I liked to go to the sea, 1500 kilometers one way. You here and without me know how VTR is adapted to long trips - almost absolutely nothing =) Therefore, we have to improvise and finish what we have.

And we have the following problem.

Hands and fingers go numb after long distances.

The motorcycle has a kappa rear case for k56 and two side givi v35 plus a passenger of about 70kg.

The average speed on the highway is 140-160 km/h. On stock sprockets, this is about 5500-6000 rpm. Very strong vibration on clip-ons. Therefore, I want to lower the engine speed by installing the front chainring at 17t.

Has anyone put a front sprocket on a 17T? How much has the speed changed in relation to engine RPM? How much more pleasant was it to drive at a constant high speed for an hour, two hours, three hours? Judging by the gear ratio change table, in 6th gear at a speed of 150 km / h, the revolutions will be around 5000.

Thank you in advance for your reply and nice to meet you =)
AMCQ46

Re: Front sprocket 17T - any experience with it?

Post by AMCQ46 »

Hi and welcome, I am impressed by google translate because that mostly made sense.

I don't have any experience with a 17t fRont, I have always kept mine with standard gearing, so my only comment is that standard gearing is already a bit of an overdrive so going higher will all the luggage and pillion is going to make it even worse and you might be changing down to 5th a lot more.

Your best Option is to try it and see if it works for you
AMcQ
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum. :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

добро пожаловать

Bad vibes throught the bars could be due to carbs being out of balance.

You need to make sure the bars have the internal weights & the bar ends in place.

Sounds silly but make sure your gloves are not too tight.

Adjust your brake & clutch leavers forward & down as much as poss so your wrists are not having to bend up.

Relax your grip on the bars & try to take some weight off your wrists by gripping the tank with your thighs, drop your shoulders & have a bend at the elbows...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
desjkee

Post by desjkee »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:27 am Hi and welcome, I am impressed by google translate because that mostly made sense.

I don't have any experience with a 17t fRont, I have always kept mine with standard gearing, so my only comment is that standard gearing is already a bit of an overdrive so going higher will all the luggage and pillion is going to make it even worse and you might be changing down to 5th a lot more.

Your best Option is to try it and see if it works for you
Thanks, I'll definitely try it!
desjkee

Post by desjkee »

MacV2 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:52 am добро пожаловать

You need to make sure the bars have the internal weights & the bar ends in place.

Adjust your brake & clutch leavers forward & down as much as poss so your wrists are not having to bend up.

Relax your grip on the bars & try to take some weight off your wrists by gripping the tank with your thighs, drop your shoulders & have a bend at the elbows...
Thanks for the advice!
On the technical side, the motorcycle is in perfect order and complete, including internal and external weights, wheel balancing. All connections on the motorcycle are stretched with a torque wrench with the right torque.
Tried even without gloves, the effect is the same =)

But I'm still sure that the vibration comes from the motor. Because if you squeeze the clutch on the go, the vibration instantly disappears.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You could try supporting the engine from below, then loosening all of the engine mount bolts and re-tightening them to the correct torque.

That sometimes reduces engine vibration issues.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hello and welcome, I am also impressed with your Google translations :clap:

You could also check the carbs (carburettors) for balance as Mac suggested. Here's a link on how to do this: https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopi ... cing+carbs

If you have trouble getting a carb balancer you can make one yourself: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/t ... -do-28478/

Chris.
desjkee

Post by desjkee »

sirch345 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:59 pm

You could also check the carbs (carburettors) for balance as Mac suggested. Here's a link on how to do this: https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopi ... cing+carbs

If you have trouble getting a carb balancer you can make one yourself: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/t ... -do-28478/

Chris.
Thanks for the links, Chris! I have already read this information. I've seen a lot of different options with synchronization, but this is the first time I've met an option with a ball) A very interesting way.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

desjkee wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:22 am
sirch345 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:59 pm

Chris.
Thanks for the links, Chris! I have already read this information. I've seen a lot of different options with synchronization, but this is the first time I've met an option with a ball) A very interesting way.
Well done in already having read the information :clap:

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Firestorms have a level of vibration, it has never been a problem for me. Some people use a foam cover on the handle bar grips called Grip Puppies, link below ⬇️

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=grip+puppi ... ar8pmrx0_e

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along sir :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

In my experience, if the front brake pads get more than 50% and you are running standard Honda front brake disks then they can warp leading to vibration through the bars at certain speeds.

Al.
MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

Which fingers are getting numb?
Basically there's two nerves in charge.
One for the thumb, index finger and middle finger.
The other for the ring finger and little finger.

The nerve for the first three is often numbed by a too high angle of the hand vs lower arm. That's usually caused by a too high position of the levers. (see picture)
If that's the cause adjustment or a different handlebar could help.

The second one for the outer two is triggerd by too high pressure on the inner hand surface. On bicycles you use special grips with a little more surface reducing the pressure.
Here you could try wider gloves or bigger/softer grips like these:
https://m.louis.de/artikel/schaumgummig ... r=10019505
Attachments
Screenshot_20220826_211224_com.android.chrome.jpg
Bye
Martin