(CCT) Need decent mechanic in Cambridge area. Or further.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
MrMastodon

(CCT) Need decent mechanic in Cambridge area. Or further.

Post by MrMastodon »

This might be a bit of an unusual problem for Storms, but I think I have a bit of a cam chain rattle [1] It's not running great and feels reluctant to rev out - great low down but goes a bit less rewarding after 4-5kRPM or so.

I have no confidence at all in replacing them myself, plus I don't have a garage, just the driveway. And with a family, time itself can be difficult.

To cause further shock and horror, I think I'd rather go with standard auto ones. I'd never trust myself to set the manual ones right and worst than that I'd honestly always be worrying about it.

Anyone know of a trusted mechanic in Cambridge area? Having said that, I'm more than happy to ride somewhere if logistically do-able.

The bike has done 48k miles, so not too upset they need doing, although it's yellow so thought this might buy a bit more time.

Ta

[1] in case it's necessary, sarcasm alert.
MacV2

Re: (CCT) Need decent mechanic in Cambridge area. Or further.

Post by MacV2 »

Sound like the timings is out, bogging down at 5-7000 classic symtoms... Runs fine at lower revs but when it gets up in the rev range cant get enough air in to feed both cylinders at once...

I'd reset the timing & fit a set of manuals for you North Kent nowt wrong with them been using them for 1000's of miles never had in issue.

Ohh on Storms they dont tend to rattle they just go POP... However you might have a stopper mod fitted... which when the spring goes can rattle... It wont be the cause of the poor running.

On the front CCT take the small 8mm bolt out of the end, use a small flat blade screwdriver, place it inthe hole the bolt has come out of. Locate the slot with the screwdriver & gently turn it clockwise you will feel if the spring is still ok as it will spring back as you let the pressure off. Got spring your OK. No spring but the bike still runs but slight rattle...Stopper mod... If it was full on CCT blow up it would sound like a biscuit tin full of spanners... Rebuild time or replacment head.

You could give Jonsey a try he's out Harwich way & has the skills to sort you out.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MrMastodon

Post by MrMastodon »

MacV2 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:50 am Sound like the timings is out, bogging down at 5-7000 classic symtoms... Runs fine at lower revs but when it gets up in the rev range cant get enough air in to feed both cylinders at once...
Yep, that's an ominously good description!
MacV2 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:50 am I'd reset the timing & fit a set of manuals for you North Kent nowt wrong with them been using them for 1000's of miles never had in issue.
It's just my lack of mechanical confidence/competence but I know this would be the more robust and longer lasting peace of mind if I can get over it!
MacV2 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:50 am Ohh on Storms they dont tend to rattle they just go POP... However you might have a stopper mod fitted... which when the spring goes can rattle... It wont be the cause of the poor running.
I'll see that as a good thing - either I'm overly worried about noises and it's fine or has the stopper mod so on borrowed time and needs to be fixed but at least it's stopped the valves & piston trying to occupy the same space at the same time.
MacV2 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:50 am On the front CCT take the small 8mm bolt out of the end, use a small flat blade screwdriver, place it inthe hole the bolt has come out of. Locate the slot with the screwdriver & gently turn it clockwise you will feel if the spring is still ok as it will spring back as you let the pressure off. Got spring your OK. No spring but the bike still runs but slight rattle...Stopper mod... If it was full on CCT blow up it would sound like a biscuit tin full of spanners... Rebuild time or replacment head.
Ah, that's great - will have a fiddle. So - if I turn the screw clockwise, should I turn it anticlockwise again the same amount to reset it?v
MacV2 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:50 am You could give Jonsey a try he's out Harwich way & has the skills to sort you out.
Unless I'm have the rare combination of being lucky and overly paranoid I think I'll be needing some help. Knew the bike had done a fair few miles and didn't pay too much for it so happy to pay a bit to get CCTs done if necessary, knowing it might be an issue

Many thanks for your thoughts, really helpful - will try the screwdriver thing to feel for spring and see what I find
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

''Ah, that's great - will have a fiddle. So - if I turn the screw clockwise, should I turn it anticlockwise again the same amount to reset it?''

No if the spring is ok it will spring back..it's a spring. It's difficult to discribe. You turn it & you will feel the tension if it's OK. Just leting the pressure off the screwdiver it will go back & you will feel it.

You only need a 1/4 turn & be gentel with the presure...It makes sense when you do it, you'll feel the spring er spring...

For access you'll need the tank & air box off unlees you have small hands.

You could try it on the rear one first as thats easier to get to but expect some oil to dribble out...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

If you are not that confident in fitting manual cct's why not ask mac if he can do it for you.I feel sure that he wouldn't mind for a fee and you also would learn an awful lot about the bike at the same time.On reading his post it seems to me that he has already offered stating that he lives North Kent.He doesn't bite (well not very hard) :D
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
DJWALKER

Post by DJWALKER »

Another vote for mac , just done mine plus.picked up on one or two other issues and corrected . Top man 👍