Keep checking your tyres.

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

Keep checking your tyres.

Post by sirch345 »

I found a nail in my rear Firestorm tyre, luckily the tyre hadn't lost any air and that I noticed it when I did.

I do carry out a routine inspection that includes checking the tyres for foreign objects like screws or nails which I normally do every third ride on average. I think the check will be done more often from now on:
Nail in VTR rear tyre..jpeg

Chris.
Duffy1964

Re: Keep checking your tyres.

Post by Duffy1964 »

Good spot Chris, better safe than sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Ah elbow!
I hate it when that happens. Is it pluggable or are you treads too low and you'll go for an early replacement?
Its difficult to judge the center trad depth from that pic

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Wow ! It cant have been in there long as it hasn't been smashed to bits...

Picked up on the driveway or just outside on the road.

How the feck has that gone in that way ? Must have not got a head on it...

Once you have that sorted we need to see the whole thing...

Try pulling it out... :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

MacV2 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:38 am Wow ! It cant have been in there long as it hasn't been smashed to bits...
It may have had mustard on it. My mum used to say that mustard would stop me chewing my nails.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I have had the tyre replaced. It was around 7yrs old so rather than risk it decided that was the best thing to do.

When I pulled the nail out, expecting to hear a pssssssssssssss, but nothing, so the tyre was not actually punctured. Some may say then it's okay to use, but I couldn't help thinking how close the nail tip got to puncturing it, hence new tyre time.

As for having it plugged had it been punctured as Pete wondered, I'm not sure if that would have been possible due to the angle the nail was sitting at. Not sure how on earth Mac how it got there at that angle :crazy: Afaik I picked it up on my last ride-out.

Here's the offending culprit, what's left of it is 34mm long, about 18mm was in the tyre. I'm sure there must have been a head on the nail that got worn away, otherwise I doubt the tyre would have picked it up.
IMG_0351Re.jpg
New tyre:
IMG_0346.jpgRe.jpg
Chris.

PS. I only spotted it as I was putting the bike back in the garage at 11pm after testing out an LED bulb that Mac recommended in our lane at the back of the house ( I couldn't do it any earlier as it was not dark enough :lol: ) So a BIG thanks Mac for suggesting that, as had I not been doing that I may not have noticed it before my next ride-out :thumbup:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Nerg Nail.jpg
Nerg Nail.jpg (10.99 KiB) Viewed 957 times
So how was the bulb ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:11 am Nerg Nail.jpg

So how was the bulb ?
I'll sort out a photo or two very soon :thumbup:

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

sirch345 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:52 pm I have had the tyre replaced. It was around 7yrs old so rather than risk it decided that was the best thing to do.
That's not bad going. I'm lucky to get seven months out of mine :D
I've heard those new Avons are pretty good. With a bit of luck and no more punctures you might get ten years from this one :lol:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
popkat

Post by popkat »

I have not seen such an old firestorm wheel in such as new condition with original paint, you must have it wrapped in cotton wool 😂 the paint was so thin at the very least you’d get sort of spider corrosion under the paint. Well done on keeping it so nice 👍

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pete.L wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:34 am
sirch345 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:52 pm I have had the tyre replaced. It was around 7yrs old so rather than risk it decided that was the best thing to do.
That's not bad going. I'm lucky to get seven months out of mine :D
I've heard those new Avons are pretty good. With a bit of luck and no more punctures you might get ten years from this one :lol:

Pete.l
:lol: :clap:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

popkat wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:05 am I have not seen such an old firestorm wheel in such as new condition with original paint, you must have it wrapped in cotton wool 😂 the paint was so thin at the very least you’d get sort of spider corrosion under the paint. Well done on keeping it so nice 👍

Digital photo's can be deceiving, although I appreciate your praise.

That rear wheel is one I had to buy to replace the wheels on my Firestorm (that's another story that happened many years ago). It has been painted by myself using rattle cans years ago, and it's not as good as it looks in the photo :lol: My bike is a 1999 model, and that wheel was from a 2002 bike iirc,

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

sirch345 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:36 pm
popkat wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:05 am I have not seen such an old firestorm wheel in such as new condition with original paint, you must have it wrapped in cotton wool 😂 the paint was so thin at the very least you’d get sort of spider corrosion under the paint. Well done on keeping it so nice 👍

That rear wheel is one I had to buy to replace the wheels on my Firestorm (that's another story that happened many years ago). It has been painted by myself using rattle cans years ago, and it's not as good as it looks in the photo :lol: My bike is a 1999 model, and that wheel was from a 2002 bike iirc,

Chris.
I’m relieved at that, thought you had a special wheel for a while there 😂 2002 F2 they had thicker more glossy paint.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

popkat wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:55 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:36 pm

Chris.
I’m relieved at that, thought you had a special wheel for a while there 😂 2002 F2 they had thicker more glossy paint.

:lol: :thumbup:

Chris.