A rather rounded stator cover bolt...

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
AlmostThere

A rather rounded stator cover bolt...

Post by AlmostThere »

I was warned...

Is it even made of metal? :confused

Allen socket rounded, knowing the bolt in ruined I eased in an oversize torx bit, not happy with rounding things off some more it lopped off a couple of chunks for good measure. After the picture was taken I tried the cold chisel/hammer combo...glad I don't have a picture of what it looks like now. I've tried penetrating oil, there's been planty of chapping with a hammer and I've added a little heat (but chickened out as I don't know how the colouring (anodised?) on the cover would react).

Any suggestions?
tony.mon

Re: A rather rounded stator cover bolt...

Post by tony.mon »

The outer few mm of the cover is unsupported, so there's no point chiselling there.
You need to use a centre punch about 5mm in from the outer circumference, and you'll need to make two or three equidistant dents, then punch at an angle using heavier hammer blows, alternating in each position.

Keep going, you'll get there.

You can get better replacement options than the standard one, which is made of cheese, as you've found out.

To prevent the problem occurring in the first place, install the new one with a smear of silicon sealer on the threads, and hold the short arm of the Allen key to tighten it up as tight as you can by hand.
Then, when you want to remove it, hold the longer arm.

If you hit it too hard straight on, you can punch the threaded hole out of the casing, but they're not hard to find or expensive, so easy to replace if that happens.

Big hammer, be brave!
In the Knowledgebase there's a pic of me knocking one out ( no, not like that) using this method.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AlmostThere

Post by AlmostThere »

Success, thanks for the great advice tony.mon :thumbup:

As I didn't have a centre punch to hand I ended up cutting two grooves with the Dremel then used a cold chisel and a 1.8kg lump hammer to tease it out. To my surprise, it came out without too much drama. I had to dress the bolt a little as the jagged edges caused by the chisel cutting through the alloy were catching on the stretch cover I use. As I didn't make a total mess of the bolt it's fitted back in until I source a replacement.

On that note, you mention there are better replacement options. You wouldn't have a source for those would you?
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Google "ruggedroads"" I think they do a better quality one that fits a varadero.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
AlmostThere

Post by AlmostThere »

Thanks for that alanfjones1411 :thumbup:

Ordered the small one also for completeness sake, this comes with a 10mm head whereas the 30mm cap has a 14mm head. Genuine Honda replacement o-rings are supplied too which is handy. Seems to be well made, fit well on the threads. Only thing I wasn't entirely happy about was the differences in colour between the caps. The photo/camera doesn't pick it up very well but the larger cap is almost a raw/slightly polished finish and the smaller cap is more of a matt finish.

Will see how time treats them.

Thanks again.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I'd be tempted to paint them both black.
AlmostThere

Post by AlmostThere »

TBH, I was in half a mind to take the cover off and polish it but haven't seen it done very often and I can't find the pics to take another look.

Slight aside but I got a few gaskets (genarator cover, clutch slave and front sprocket) made by Interface Performance Materials. Ever used their gaskets before?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AlmostThere wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:08 pm Thanks for that alanfjones1411 :thumbup:

Ordered the small one also for completeness sake, this comes with a 10mm head whereas the 30mm cap has a 14mm head. Genuine Honda replacement o-rings are supplied too which is handy. Seems to be well made, fit well on the threads. Only thing I wasn't entirely happy about was the differences in colour between the caps. The photo/camera doesn't pick it up very well but the larger cap is almost a raw/slightly polished finish and the smaller cap is more of a matt finish.

Thanks again.
Definitely an improvement over the cheese versions :thumbup:

Chris.
AlmostThere

Post by AlmostThere »

They worked out less expensive than the cheapest genuine ones I could find when you account for the (genuine) o-rings they supply, even with postage added in.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AlmostThere wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:00 pm Thanks :thumbup:

They worked out less expensive than the cheapest genuine ones I could find when you account for the (genuine) o-rings they supply, even with postage added in.
You can't argue with that can you :D

Chris.
yellabell

Post by yellabell »

AlmostThere wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:08 pm Thanks for that alanfjones1411 :thumbup:

Thanks again.
Link or part numbers please?
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

someone used to do titanium ones on here a few years back. I had some of them. They were good

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I also had some of these, they weighed slightly more that the original aluminium alloy ones!
Had to get some additional drilling done to avoid upsetting my OCD.
But they won't round out.
I doubt you'll find any for sale, though, they were made by a now-inactive former member in his high tech work environment.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:29 am I also had some of these, they weighed slightly more that the original aluminium alloy ones!
Had to get some additional drilling done to avoid upsetting my OCD.
But they won't round out.
I doubt you'll find any for sale, though, they were made by a now-inactive former member in his high tech work environment.
To add to this...Mark who made them, had one on his bike & when he went to take it out it had seized in as well... Ti to ali...Still need a lube aliseize not copper slip...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...