dont loose your head

General Bike chat
northmanuk

dont loose your head

Post by northmanuk »

boy oh boy out for a fast run (or at least a run ) on the vtr .no funny noises ahh this what life is about about up to the ton on fav road .Must have done an ok job on fitting second hand head and two manual cct's. blip the throttle to change down. exhaust note changes power goes steel band starts up
what the johanna is that. i stop engine pull over .oh erica i restart engine ............death metal i cant have screwed up i was so careful i checked the head for cracks lapped in the valves after checking them and guides . new gaskets bolts etc set timing turned it over by hand no noise cool. rode it enjoyed it (ah thats what guys were pleased about)
Anyway i rang break down they arrive they take me home VTR placed at the back of the garage after a few days of feeling sorry for myself i strip of fairing etc now i remove rocker box on front cylinder every thing seems ok cam chain tensioned correctly go further in oil looks strange water in it
check rad level way down. Drain sump oil is contaminated. strip down bike till i can remove head. what the hell exhaust valve has dropped its head
piston has been mullered
now a second hand valve has failed result wrecked engine bloody hell am i unlucky
hey mister does pi--ing on the lemon tree make em grow better

no kid but it sure makes your ma mad (fastest indian) :crazy:
i always wanted to ride a v twin now i got one i still cant :D
tony.mon

Re: dont loose your head

Post by tony.mon »

Ok, a valve has dropped, maybe the collets weren't seated firmly enough. After I install valves, after loosening the clamp, I always give the top valve collar a good tap with a section of wooden dowel, lifting the valve off it's seat, to make sure they collets are firmly seated.

What I don't understand is water in the oil.
A valve drops, causing a hole in the piston, all that does is allow intake and exhaust air into the crankcases, the coolant system stays isolated.

So how is coolant mixing with oil?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Double post
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
northmanuk

Post by northmanuk »

collets were there head from valve gone i dont know how water got in oil either
hey mister does pi--ing on the lemon tree make em grow better

no kid but it sure makes your ma mad (fastest indian) :crazy:
i always wanted to ride a v twin now i got one i still cant :D