Electrical Problem - Bike Died on the Way to Work

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Boubepo

Electrical Problem - Bike Died on the Way to Work

Post by Boubepo »

I hope you don’t mind me asking this question here. I still have my trusty Honda Firestorm but this is a question about my Honda VFR

Started her up this morning and the newish battery seemed a little low but she just about managed to start and I thought the 15 mile ride to work would sort any low battery issues

14 miles in she started chugging as if running out of fuel but tank 3/4 full - eventually she cut out completely and wouldnt restart as there was no power in the battery

My mechanical skills aren’t great but I’m assuming it could be a battery problem (even though it’s 10
Months old) or rectifier or an alternator type problem

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received
popkat

Re: Electrical Problem - Bike Died on the Way to Work

Post by popkat »

It could well be a battery problem but ideally you need a multi meter (about £9 from Halfords) set it volts on the 20 scale then connect to positive and negative of the battery. You need to have a fully charged battery to start with.
With full charge you should see 12.9 to about 13.2 volts if just off the charger,
With bike running you should see between 13.5 and 14.5 volts, you can Rev the bike to 3000rpm to help steady the reading
Do this with lights off and on, it may be slightly lower with lights on but still in range.
If all ok the test the battery.
Connect meter with ignition off and note reading, turn ignition on and note reading again, now start the bike and note the reading as it starts, you’ll need to look quick.
A good battery would be 12.9 ignition off
About 12.5 or so ignition on
And no less than about 11volts when you start the bike.
If voltage drops to about 7 for example your battery is knackered.
Back to the running volts, if over 15 then you probably have a bad reg/rec
If below the voltage that you measured with ignition off then it could be reg/rec or generator
It could also be corroded connections so these need checking.
If voltage is still low then further tests are needed. Not to get too complicated either take it to someone or google generator test and get your monies worth out of your new multi meter.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s