what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:11 pm Rode The Murvinator back from Joneseys, after spending yesterday clearing up his workshop...

He was shamed about it when I was up there a few weeks ago & despite him saying he would clear it up he needed a kick up the butt & help to sort it...

Honestly there were tools in every corner, in boxes, on the floor... :lol:

This is the pile of crap at the end of the day...

This is The Murviator bin shot with Chris holding his co ck... ( it's hen but thats not as funny...)

The Murvinator & The Panzervagon ready to leave this morning.

Murvinator Panzervagon 1.jpg

The bin shot...

Murvinator Panzervagon 2.jpg
Nothing like a good kick up the butt to get motivated, well done Mac :thumbup:
It looks like you have plenty to get rid of, good job boys,

Chris.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Finally got around to changing the mechanical water pump seal. It is one of those jobs that is easier that it sounds, though having a press does make the job much easier but could be done without one. The worst part is pulling everything down to get the clutch cover off. At that I took a measurement of the impeller setting. I did find the listed method a bit tricky as they want you to measure from the shoulder below the splined bit to the bearing inner race. Getting a repeatable reading was kind of tough. So I just measured the splined section(which was 13mm on mine) and just added that to the spec and it made things much easier. After that I pressed the impeller out. The press I used is a small arbor press https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-arb ... gJlZfD_BwE

The bearing and seal came out with no fuss. After cleaning everything it was time to reassemble all the bits. The service manual doesn't mention the ceramic disk and rubber bit that is on the impeller, so those need to be removed so the new ones can be fitted. First is the mechanical seal (again , can be driven in but much easier with a press) then the oil seal and bearing. The last bit is installing the impeller. I used a deep 11mm socket to support the inner bearing race and pressed the impeller into place. ended up .01 mm from where the OEM one was set. Got all back together and run up to temp with no issues. So a pita job but not all that difficult to accomplish.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

8541Hawk wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:49 pm Finally got around to changing the mechanical water pump seal. It is one of those jobs that is easier that it sounds, though having a press does make the job much easier but could be done without one. The worst part is pulling everything down to get the clutch cover off. At that I took a measurement of the impeller setting. I did find the listed method a bit tricky as they want you to measure from the shoulder below the splined bit to the bearing inner race. Getting a repeatable reading was kind of tough. So I just measured the splined section(which was 13mm on mine) and just added that to the spec and it made things much easier. After that I pressed the impeller out. The press I used is a small arbor press https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-arb ... gJlZfD_BwE

The bearing and seal came out with no fuss. After cleaning everything it was time to reassemble all the bits. The service manual doesn't mention the ceramic disk and rubber bit that is on the impeller, so those need to be removed so the new ones can be fitted. First is the mechanical seal (again , can be driven in but much easier with a press) then the oil seal and bearing. The last bit is installing the impeller. I used a deep 11mm socket to support the inner bearing race and pressed the impeller into place. ended up .01 mm from where the OEM one was set. Got all back together and run up to temp with no issues. So a pita job but not all that difficult to accomplish.
Many thanks Mike for the detailed feedback on changing the mechanical water pump seal :thumbup:

Very much appreciated,

Chris.
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

Rain stops play on the stud removal so in the workshop renovating the wheels.
Back wheel done front cleaned ready for refinishing and the vtr400 discs taken off and bobbined and cleaned.
Still need to get this ffn rear tyre sitting up on the bead....going to connect the big air tank up tomorrow and give it a big air shot straight out the air line.

rollingthunderx2

To those saying their workshop is untidy..this is my weekend clearup..Ive been working up the far west coast too long...
rollingthunderx2

That shiny thing on the left is a still. Today producing peated malt.😑
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

The joys of LC ownership, or rather the joys of bikes with skinny tyres. tore the rear out of it, and slipped on a nice sticky Avon AM :thumbup: took all of half an hour start to finish.. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:57 pm The joys of LC ownership, or rather the joys of bikes with skinny tyres. tore the rear out of it, and slipped on a nice sticky Avon AM :thumbup: took all of half an hour start to finish.. :thumbup:
:thumbup: I remember fitting my own tyres too :eh: :D

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

fabiostar wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:57 pm The joys of LC ownership, or rather the joys of bikes with skinny tyres. tore the rear out of it, and slipped on a nice sticky Avon AM :thumbup: took all of half an hour start to finish.. :thumbup:

AM22/23 ? Did you take the grinder to the naughty bit written on the side 😂

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

popkat wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:41 am

probably too busy on Grinder to bother... :Gay:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

popkat wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:41 am

no more worries about MOT men bothering me so alls good :clap: :clap:

and thankyou mac :eek2 my secrets out lol
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I can't afford to retire!

Well, more accurately:
I couldn't afford to re-tyre the Tuono....£380 fitted, Supercorsa SP3's.

Still, cheaper than new plastics if I drop it, I suppose.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Dropped the forks 10mm , it’s turns in much better now .
Slowly getting the thing to handle (I’m slow and it handles)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

tony.mon wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:10 pm I can't afford to retire!

Well, more accurately:
I couldn't afford to re-tyre the Tuono....£380 fitted, Supercorsa SP3's.

Still, cheaper than new plastics if I drop it, I suppose.
jesus H thats some money for a pair of tyres :eek2 :eek2
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Rubber prices are going through the roof with material shortages, you had better wheelie more to save the front tyre.... And don't even look at the price of rubber Johnney,s :lol:
AMcQ