Travel abroad documents?

General Biker Banter
cheekykev

Travel abroad documents?

Post by cheekykev »

Now we're no longer in the EU does anyone know what documents you need to travel abroad ?
There's a few of us doing a trip, riding through Holland, Germany and Austria, just wondering what documents we need ie licence, insurance etc.
Reg plate, or any other regulations we need to be looking at.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
MacV2

Re: Travel abroad documents?

Post by MacV2 »

cheekykev wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:29 pm Now we're no longer in the EU does anyone know what documents you need to travel abroad ?
There's a few of us doing a trip, riding through Holland, Germany and Austria, just wondering what documents we need ie licence, insurance etc.
Reg plate, or any other regulations we need to be looking at.
Check with the AA or RAC... think they would know...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Check with your insurance policy. Most will cover you for a few weeks a year.
Also check to see if you need to carry a warning triangle, breathalyzer, and a spare set of bulbs. The requirement changes from country to country.
The AA might be a good shout to find out what you need. I've never bothered with a GB sticker but that might also be a requirement if you don't have a plate with GB on it.

Pete
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
popkat

Post by popkat »

I think the GB sticker is no longer allowed, it now has to be UK.
As said different countries slightly different rules, eg Spain you must display UK separate of the number plate, even if it’s on the plate already. Other rules on google search

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

As I'm from Germany, I'd advise to mount your stock cans as police became pretty intense regarding bike noise.

In popular regions like the Eifel (Nürburgring) or Bavarian Alps, they confiscate loud exhausts and you're not allowed to continue riding until you mount something compliant.

In Austria they even banned bikes with a noise level above 95dB from entering the state of Tirol. As a surprise, they noise-test motorcycles, too.

On the other hand the level of fines for speeding is ridiculously low in Germany compared to every other country around. Especially Switzerland is extremely expensive, but also Austria!
Bye
Martin