Hi from Paris

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Lobster_Johnson

Hi from Paris

Post by Lobster_Johnson »

Hi guys, hello from Paris. I'm Arnaud, 41, new owner of a pretty faded Firestom for a week.

The engine runs quite fine considering it has not run for 3 years. Critical things (aka the chain tensioners) have been adressed but body work is falling appart.

As you can see it's been repainted in pearl white which suits it pretty well. Repainting it exactly the same is a serious option. Along with going for a Moriwaki replica, painting Honda light grey, dark blue... Time will tell.

It was fit with Devil carbon silencers which blew up as it may happen. Right now the Devil exhaust line is fit with "Akrapowish" because the seller looked for a quick fix. I'm searching for a more appropriate fix, either diameter 54 cans or starting fresh with a new line.

The goal is to rebuild entirely the bike as I did on my CBR. I have to admit the 'blade started was in a far better shape as a starting point but I was searching for something that requires work. There we are, let's start with a proper carb overhaul and a complete engine and fork service. One brick after another !
Kev L

Re: Hi from Paris

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club. I like the look of the white paint, but it could do with another colour to break it up. Maybe the hugger in another colour, possibly some on the fairing/tank. Good luck with it
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome to the forum :wave: It's not the most neglected Storm I have seen, but still going to be some challenges in there ....... Looks like it can be saved with a bit of tlc
AMcQ
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
pat_986

Post by pat_986 »

Hi :wave:
Colour suits the bike :cool2
MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

My condolences for living in a 30kph town threatening their people to install noise traps.
Wouldn't an e-scooter be more oriented towards the bright future of this town.

So if you're looking for something quiet, I'd go with the stock cans. Best performance et pas des problems avec les flics :-)

Another cheap and quiet option is the KTM 990 cans. Most riders swap them with something louder and the originals are extremely cheap to get
https://www.motorparts-online.com/de/kt ... /201286910

They're really thick walled stainless and even have a catalyzer inside.
Bye
Martin
Lobster_Johnson

Thank you all for the warm welcome and thank you MK_WF for the tip about the KTM cans. I have already secured a pair of stock cans and I'm keeping on eye on stock manifold. In France you can trade them down to 50€, that's dirt cheap - as for most of this bike's components. I'm 400% sure there will be a technical visit for bikes enforced right after the elections. Last summer it was enforced but suspended immediatly. This time we'll have it for good and noise level will be part of the checks.

Actually I'm leaving in close suburb, not inside Paris anymore. And I'm working further outside. That allows me to ride my '99 CBR with carbon micron without trouble, at least for now. But I don't want something "loud". When a damn' Tmax with an Akrapovic wakes my kids up I'm freaking out, the least I can do is to not behave the same.

When I will receive the stock cans I'll see if the fit on the Devil manifold. It seems this manifold fits Devil SB2 cans which were designed to fit on OE exhaust line. I'll let you konw.

I'm trying to make my mind up as I will overhaul the carbs with dynojet? Cans will impact main jets and needles position. Not a big deal but I would like to put them back together once for all and then only perform light tune up without opening them up again. I konw, there's just no way this is gonna happen but that's the goal.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Can't you use a UK registration and ride over to pick up an MOT?
You only get an advisory for loud cans here.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
pat_986

Post by pat_986 »

Nice idea :wink:
Nosepicker

Post by Nosepicker »

Hi and welcome :wave:
Looking forward to following your project :thumbup:
Bad choices make good stories :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard from France Arnaud :thumbup:

Good on you for being prepared to get this bike back on the road and making it better than it is right now.

I like the look of bikes painted white. May be a little less white would work better though, and as Kev L said something on the side fairing panels, may be some decals to break the white up a little. Only my thoughts :)

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

A bit of colour helps, otherwise you can't find it in the snow.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Lobster_Johnson

Thanks everyone !

Thanks for your comments. In order to answer each proposal: I'm not planning - at all - a british registration. If I'd go for a vehicle with a british plate it would be way more exotic than a Firestorm: a fancy TVR, a crazy Marcos or maybe some crazy import such as a Supra or a Skyline. On the bike side, a NC30 would be a good call, some of yours end up in France with as much mechanical work than paperwork. I'm more talented for the first one.

The side fairing will not stay white as they are now. First because they are flat white, which is depressing. That was part of the quick fix plan after seller's kid smashed the bike on garage floor. Second because the goal is to have "Firestorm Trooper" painted with an unofficial color - pearl white most likely - but sticking to an official look. Right now there is a black "Firestorm" on the tank, as per first model years. It should have a "VTR" on the side panels.

I will probably gor the later scheme with a Honda on the tank and a Firestorm on the side, keeping "V2 bla bla bla" under the saddle. Now they are black, I could go for dark grey instead.

Right now I'm binge watching paintwork tutorials and reading painting manuals while eating my cereals. Once my brain will have melted down and got back to its solid state, I'll be ready.

Meanwhile I'll check valve clearances and overhaul carbs, I can do that in autopilot mode.

I'm not really scared about losing my bike in the snow, no need for red areas as for rescue aircrafts.