Front sprocket cover removal

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Def@st

Front sprocket cover removal

Post by Def@st »

Hello everybody,

i'm planning to change the transmission kit (chain + F/R sprockets) and looking on the workshop manual i find out this procedure:

"Remove the following: -three bolts, clutch slave cylinder, dowel pins and gasket NOTE: • Do not disconnect the clutch hose. • To keep slave cylinder piston from being forced out of the cylinder, squeeze the clutch lever and tie it to the handlebar."

My english skills are very bad and maybe i'm misunderstanding but...i always tought that pulling the clutch lever, the slave cilinder piston is pushed out...

Did anyone do this before?!
Can younhelp me please?!

Thanks
MacV2

Re: Front sprocket cover removal

Post by MacV2 »

Def@st wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:15 pm Hello everybody,

i'm planning to change the transmission kit (chain + F/R sprockets) and looking on the workshop manual i find out this procedure:

"Remove the following: -three bolts, clutch slave cylinder, dowel pins and gasket NOTE: • Do not disconnect the clutch hose. • To keep slave cylinder piston from being forced out of the cylinder, squeeze the clutch lever and tie it to the handlebar."

My english skills are very bad and maybe i'm misunderstanding but...i always tought that pulling the clutch lever, the slave cilinder piston is pushed out...

Did anyone do this before?!
Can younhelp me please?!

Thanks

Some people say a zip tie around the piston is the way to go...

I just remove the lever, simple & never had an issue with the piston creeping out...

You just take the cover bolts out, only one of the slave bolts goes through the case...

It may pull the clutch rod out when you take the cover off, clean off the crap that will be on it...It's OK to pull it right out just make sure you put it back in the right way...The clutch end is hardend..

Top tip... Get a box, draw a rough outline of the cover on it, marking the bolt holes,then punch holes for the bolts, as you take the bolts out, slide them in the marked hole... They are different lenghts so getting them back in the correct holes is important...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Def@st

Post by Def@st »

Thanks MacV2 for the reply!

But...sorry, i'm even more confused...be patient with me...
MacV2 wrote: Some people say a zip tie around the piston is the way to go...
I suppose you mean, AFTER removing the cover, in order to prevent the piston to jump out. Right?

Then
MacV2 wrote:I just remove the lever, simple & never had an issue with the piston creeping out...
Which lever should I remove?!
MacV2 wrote:It may pull the clutch rod out when you take the cover off, clean off the crap that will be on it...It's OK to pull it right out just make sure you put it back in the right way...The clutch end is hardend..
I hope the clutch rod to stay in. I don't want to risk of not beeing able to push it back in the right way.
MacV2 wrote:Top tip... Get a box, draw a rough outline of the cover on it, marking the bolt holes,then punch holes for the bolts, as you take the bolts out, slide them in the marked hole... They are different lenghts so getting them back in the correct holes is important...
Thanks fornthe tip!
I usually do this since i can remember!
My dad taught me how to do it when i start "playing" with my first 50cc!

Basically, i still don't understand if i have to pull the clutch lever and tie it to the handlebar before removing the cover with the slave chlinder attached as the workshop suggest (even if can't figure out why should i do it...), or if i can simply unscrew the bolts and remove the cover without touching the clutch lever.

Thanks for your time and tips!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Def@st wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:55 am Thanks MacV2 for the reply!

But...sorry, i'm even more confused...be patient with me...
MacV2 wrote: Some people say a zip tie around the piston is the way to go...
I suppose you mean, AFTER removing the cover, in order to prevent the piston to jump out. Right? Yes after removing the cover.

Then
MacV2 wrote:I just remove the lever, simple & never had an issue with the piston creeping out...
Which lever should I remove?! The clutch leaver at the handlebar, do this & you don't need to zip tie the slave cylinder. Do this first before you take any bolts out of the cover.
MacV2 wrote:It may pull the clutch rod out when you take the cover off, clean off the crap that will be on it...It's OK to pull it right out just make sure you put it back in the right way...The clutch end is hardend..
I hope the clutch rod to stay in. I don't want to risk of not beeing able to push it back in the right way. It is different visualy at the clutch end + it will be clean. The slave end will be covered in crud from the chain. Under the cover will be full of crud, old chain lube & mud...Clean it all off before you put the new sprocket on.
MacV2 wrote:Top tip... Get a box, draw a rough outline of the cover on it, marking the bolt holes,then punch holes for the bolts, as you take the bolts out, slide them in the marked hole... They are different lenghts so getting them back in the correct holes is important...
Thanks fornthe tip!
I usually do this since i can remember!
My dad taught me how to do it when i start "playing" with my first 50cc! :thumbup:

Basically, i still don't understand if i have to pull the clutch lever and tie it to the handlebar before removing the cover with the slave chlinder attached as the workshop suggest (even if can't figure out why should i do it...), or if i can simply unscrew the bolts and remove the cover without touching the clutch lever. No as said the first thing to do is take the lever off, there should be a 10mm nut underneath, then unscrew the bolt, large flathead screwdriver. The lever will come out & there is a small rod that pushes the M/C in. The rod sits in a round brass bit in the leaver carefull it dosen't drop out. Have a clean up whilst the lever is out, old grease ect. re grease before you put it back together...

Thanks for your time and tips!
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Def@st

Post by Def@st »

Thanks thanks thanks!!!!