Project 2.0

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
JMH1000UK

Project 2.0

Post by JMH1000UK »

Well. The time has come to get my teeth into another project. My last Firestorm project died due to life circumstances changing. As I’m sure we can all agree on, the last couple of years have been a rollercoaster!

I’m extremely fortunate to be a motorcycle tech by trade so that means 1. I’ve got use of a wickedly kitted out workshop. And 2. I get to buy trade bikes from time to time, and when a storm came in the other day it was mine within 10mins of it entering the building…..

Meet Storm number 2!

Yes that is a Harris 24ltr tank…. And yes it’s already sold.

I’ve picked up a really nice condition standard tank, and with the swapping and changing the bike owes me massively under a grand at this point. 16k miles, really clean (like, REALLY clean) and not needing a whole lot to get her back on the road. A proper carb service has been done (luckily we have a great ultrasonic tank in work so they’ve been stripped, and had a bath!) and some bits have been ordered already.

Plans… well. I don’t know. I could just get it on the road and enjoy it. Or. I could go full send and throw myself into a project. My last vtr had a lovely 2-1 system on it with an upswept can…. And I can Tig weld (ish) so a recreation might be on the cards. Does anyone have a decent set of standard headers?!

That’s all for now. I will update as I do stuff. Here are some random pics so far!

fabiostar

Re: Project 2.0

Post by fabiostar »

Looks like a nice bike to start with :thumbup: . i wonder which one of the vultures got the big tank :lol: :lol: ..

put a nice two into two system on it, the 2 into 1 just dont work in the real world :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:45 am Looks like a nice bike to start with :thumbup: . i wonder which one of the vultures got the big tank :lol: :lol: ..

My moneys on Ian (yeti) Mercer.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
JMH1000UK

Post by JMH1000UK »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:15 pm
fabiostar wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:45 am Looks like a nice bike to start with :thumbup: . i wonder which one of the vultures got the big tank :lol: :lol: ..

My moneys on Ian (yeti) Mercer.
You would be 100% correct.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

put a nice two into two system on it, the 2 into 1 just dont work in the real world :thumbup:
I thought the same Rob 8)

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

id have bet my kids on it :lol: :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
JMH1000UK

Post by JMH1000UK »

Update time!

So, the carbs have been off, had a bath, and have been put back on. All balanced up and running beautifully. I did initially get the i Emulsion tubes the wrong way around (not realising they’re different!) but I swapped them around.

Also fitted a new air filter (£9 for a “hiflo” one, and it looks like a well built bit of kit for the money!), some iridium plugs, and I’ve given it an oil flush and change. The oil that came out was disgusting, so I’m most likely going to flush it again with fresh oil…..

Also, managed to pick up a pair of ART cans really reasonably, so they’ve been fitted. The gold flake isn’t for everyone, but I really dig it. And yes. They’re “backwards” in the pics, but there’s a little paint damage I wanted to hide. I’ve just not removed the old decals and fitted the new ones yet.

JMH1000UK

Post by JMH1000UK »

Oh! And I also took the lower fairing/belly pan off….

I’m not a massive fan of how they look, so if anyone fancies one as a swap for a standard little chin pan, or has one for sale please hit me up.
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

JMH1000UK wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:53 pm Oh! And I also took the lower fairing/belly pan off….

I’m not a massive fan of how they look, so if anyone fancies one as a swap for a standard little chin pan, or has one for sale please hit me up.
Check out ebay I just purchased one for £24 plus p&p Brackets harder to come by but you could make some.
I like Pyramid offering https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/products ... gJzkPD_BwE as you see the casings, i have both options now.
Lovely storm do like em in black.
Storming About :thumbup:
JMH1000UK

Post by JMH1000UK »

Update number 3!

New clear screen is on (the bike had an iridium one on when I bought it….. and I hated it!) and it’s the best £13 I’ve ever spent.
Headstock, and all wheel bearings have been changed. A new set of boots, chain service, oil flush and change, clutch fluid, and the new tanks on! Bikes looking great! I’m definitely going to look out for some OEM yellow decals for the tank, but I’m not hating the red ones being there.

It’s like a totally different bike. Totally happy where it’s at given the timeframe.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

JMH1000UK wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:16 pm Update number 3!

New clear screen is on (the bike had an iridium one on when I bought it….. and I hated it!) and it’s the best £13 I’ve ever spent.
Headstock, and all wheel bearings have been changed. A new set of boots, chain service, oil flush and change, clutch fluid, and the new tanks on! Bikes looking great! I’m definitely going to look out for some OEM yellow decals for the tank, but I’m not hating the red ones being there.

It’s like a totally different bike. Totally happy where it’s at given the timeframe.

It's looking great 8)

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Looking good mate :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
JMH1000UK

Post by JMH1000UK »

Thanks guys! Going to give the paint a go over with a mop and polish this week. See if I can cut some of the more minor imperfections out. She’ll never be perfect but still, it’s an overall really clean and original example.

Also noticed the wheels have been recently powdercoated…. And whoever did it didn’t clean all the blasting material out of the spokes, hence the wrecked bearings! Wheels are now iron shot free, and look really nice.
pat_986

Post by pat_986 »

Looks great. Hope I can get mine to look a bit like yours.