Head Bearings

General Bike chat
Anonymous

Head Bearings

Post by Anonymous »

:? I seem to be getting a knocking coming through the front (I can feel it, not hear it). I guess it means I should try tightening the head bearings first - is this pretty straightforward? Are there any tips for correct adjustment or do I just tighten by feel until all the bearings are nicely crushed? :wink:
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

There is an article on http://www.vtr1000.org about sorting the head bearings - if you're on netscape or on a mac you may not be able to view it, in which case let me know and I'll sort out a copy for you.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

• Remove Mirrors

Remove 4 bolts securing fairing, and two plastic trim-clips underneath radiators, then remove fairing taking care to disconnect the indicator wires and the headlight/sidelight connectors

Undo the bolt holding the Y connector for the front brake hoses

Remove both the clip-on handlebars and tie wrap to the frame or mirror brackets to keep out of the way and keep them vertical

Remove black plastic cover from the top nut on the yoke

Remove the retaining nut from the yoke (this will be damned tight and is probably slightly rusted so watch your wrench doesn't slip off and hit the tank)

Loosen the two bolts on the top yoke holding the forks then carefully slide the yoke up and off

Using a small punch straighten out the two tabs holding the top lockring in place then loosen the top locking ring (I use a small c-wrench for this but it can be done carefully with a drift and a hammer)

Tighten the pre-load nut then do the above stages in reverse remembering to connect up the side light or you will have to take the fairing off again! You may need to stand in front of the bike and use your legs to push back on the front wheel when refitting the top yoke, depending on how loose they were to begin with
Take your time and you should be able to do it in a couple of hours.