Halfords battery charger fire

General Biker Banter
Ianasauras

Halfords battery charger fire

Post by Ianasauras »

So went to plug in the trickle charger this evening, connected it to the quick connectors on the bike, popped into the shed and heard an electric splutter. Came back out of the shed to see the rubber of the cable smoking and melting, internal wires glowing with heat. Rush back into the shed and turn off the charger at the switch but it's still burning till i grab the cable with a pliers and it snaps. High visibility jacket i keep under the seat gone on fire and all. I assume the battery was sending the heat up through the wire.
Anyways, fire out. No internal damage to the bike thankfully. Scared the shite outta me though.
The charger is a few years old, but that should not have happened imo. Will be sending an email on to halfords about it anyway.

Just a heads up to anyone else who may own one of these. Keep an eye out. All i can think is if I'd left it overnight​ and it happened while i was asleep that'd be a burnt out bike and shed.

AMCQ46

Re: Halfords battery charger fire

Post by AMCQ46 »

Qbloody hell, that was a close call.
AMcQ
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

I had one of those chargers, I only used it maybe a dozen times over the 7 years I had it and then it just packed up. What was the state of the wiring, was it hard and dried out, an internal break in the insulation could have caused a short.

I replaced mine with a motobatt fat boy charger, great bit of kit and we'll worth the money. Charges all battery types.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
bigr250

Post by bigr250 »

Scary prospect!!

I have an Optimate 3 which I've had for about 8 years. I've not used it a lot but it's never given me any trouble but I'll be checking the cables before I use it again!!!
Rappelez tout mais ne pardonner rien!!
bigr250

Post by bigr250 »

Ianasauras wrote: Image
Oh dear, there'll be 'Elfin Safety' types all over the country wringing their hands and crying into their pale ale's over the demise of a hi-viz vest!!! :lol: :lol:
Rappelez tout mais ne pardonner rien!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's really bad for something out of a reputable hight street store in the UK. That's the sort of crap I'd expect from a Chinese charger on eBay. Send your story into Watchdog. Get some publicity on your side and also as a warning to others, especially if Halfrauds don't compensate you and fob you off.
==============================Enter the Darkside
xeris

Post by xeris »

What makes you think that isn't a Chinese made charger? Point of purchase means little anymore.
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You could be right as Halfords own brands may use the Chinese for cheap labour and parts. The thing is though don't high street shops have regulations to abide by like certain kitemarks on their products to prove they have passed safety tests etc (trading standards) whereas on eBay anything goes.
==============================Enter the Darkside
podman

Post by podman »

Close one mate, glad it all ended (reasonably) well, anything can go up, its not limited to Halfords products, poor design(Samsung phones/laptop batteries) or poor storage , my Mum's Bosch vacuum charger went up recently as her OCD made her fold all the wires up when she put it away and my brother came home to find his Sony TV smoking away one night..
xeris

Post by xeris »

podman wrote:brother came home to find his Sony TV smoking away one night..
Did Sony share some?

Maybe that's a signal to start looking for certified/tested lable by a reputable lab (in the US it would be Underwriters Lab). I'm guessing that the UK has equivalent or better.
If I have my info correct, electrical appliances are one of the leading causes of fires in the home. I have two low rent chargers. Gives me pause for concern.
Thanks to the OP for the share.
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'm glad that wasn't any worse than it was, although bad enough. Thanks for the heads-up,

Chris.