A Few Bob,, What to Buy?

General Bike chat
bigtwinthing

Re: A Few Bob,, What to Buy?

Post by bigtwinthing »

MacV2 wrote:These seem to be going up in value as well...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbi ... 1225356901
THATS JUST REDICULOUS MAC, you know damn well i have a CBF and can't handle the poke from that cub :lol:

Ive seen a really nice Urban Tiger that i like the look of.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

bigtwinthing wrote:
Stephan wrote:
bigtwinthing wrote:

I will ride it but just short blasts etc. My mate said an Original TL1000
whats the point then, buy vtr1000f for few quids and mod it again :D With adjustable wider bars and lower pegs, I dont think you will suffer.

i don't think Storms will go up much. A TL1000 will, and SP1 and 2 will I will always ride it, can't have anything just sat there. I will be looking at a Rare bike friday.
TL1000S I don´t think will be any higher than Storm. TL1000R yes. My point was, get something cheap you can play with. For me, get unmolested rare bike just for sitting in the garage or for sunday coffee rides, is not very attractive.
I know this is out of question, so back to topic. TL1000S don´t make sense to me for this purpose.

I always fancied first YZF-R1 in red/white, these will go up in original condition, and it is japan sportsbike masterpiece.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

don't know a lot about which bike to buy, but an investment only becomes an investment when you sell it on ?

my Raleigh wisp is still festering in my shed. could be available for the right price ???
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

lumpyv wrote:don't know a lot about which bike to buy, but an investment only becomes an investment when you sell it on ?

my Raleigh wisp is still festering in my shed. could be available for the right price ???

i ride a CBF i couldn't handle the extra poke. :thumbup: :lol:
podman

Post by podman »

Stephan wrote:
bigtwinthing wrote:
Stephan wrote:
whats the point then, buy vtr1000f for few quids and mod it again :D With adjustable wider bars and lower pegs, I dont think you will suffer.

i don't think Storms will go up much. A TL1000 will, and SP1 and 2 will I will always ride it, can't have anything just sat there. I will be looking at a Rare bike friday.
TL1000S I don´t think will be any higher than Storm. TL1000R yes. My point was, get something cheap you can play with. For me, get unmolested rare bike just for sitting in the garage or for sunday coffee rides, is not very attractive.
I know this is out of question, so back to topic. TL1000S don´t make sense to me for this purpose.

I always fancied first YZF-R1 in red/white, these will go up in original condition, and it is japan sportsbike masterpiece.
Ah, I disagree regards the TL, the "S" was the original bad boy and already has a cult following, its already talked of in a similar vein to bikes such as the H2 etc, ive seen one or two of these (Ss) already restored (Suzuki did one itself a year or 2 back) and swapping hands for strong money, the "R" in comparison was a prettier (to some), much heavier and despite the comprehensive race kit, never hit its race aspirations so Suzuki soldiered on with the GSXR taking up racing duties in various championships, it was a flop on track and road IMHO.

I'd put my money on an "S" over an "R" for sure.

Regards the original R1, maybe missed the boat on that, they have risen quite rapidly in the last year or 2.

Remember, just because something is rare, doesn't mean its automatically a worthwhile investment, some rare bikes are rare because they where shite and either never sold or didnt last..

I sold my original, 1999, copper coloured Hayabusa a year or so ago for 5K but it was truly exceptional ,(the right colour and a first generation bike, a 2002 onwards model will never in comparison be collectible/desirable), if you like the look of them(I did!), they could be worth a punt, anything that pushed the boundaries or was considered a benchmark bike is worthy of consideration, depends on what tickles your particular fancy....and your budget

I would like a (air cooled) GPz750s and the first model GPZ900s to add to my list, still reasonably affordable and very cool machines.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

my eyes have gone funny looking to be honest. !
podman

Post by podman »

bigtwinthing wrote:my eyes have gone funny looking to be honest. !
Where have you been looking?
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

podman wrote:

e bay, Various web sites etc, not really the right places probably !
podman

Post by podman »

bigtwinthing wrote:
podman wrote:

e bay, Various web sites etc, not really the right places probably !
Your quite right, websites tend to find the market level or higher(certainly applies to eBay, many people use eBay like google now), car & classicwebsite used to be good but its generally full of over priced wares peddled by chancers nowadays.

IMHO in general the best buys come away from the net, a lot of the, shall we say, older sellers dont use or like the internet so will advertise in print, many of them dont have the ability to upload or take a picture, so always read the ads with text only. CMM magazine ads often have good buys, as is the fee , quarterly VJMC magazine, if you know a member and someone can get hold of a copy of that for you.

If you can narrow your search down to a particular model you'd like, then if it has a specific forum , join up and see whats in the ads section..
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Podman:

Thanks for comment, situation seems to be different here regarding TLS. My mate helping me with most of the complicated mods have this bike and I know quite a lot of it, and honestly I think VTRF is better bike. At least rear suspension is crap on both, but much easier to improve on vtr. Engine performance is very similar on tuned bikes.

I thought this bad boy or widow maker reputation has gone by the time, it seems not. On the other hand, there is chance for firestorm to go higher and higher, as this bike package is quite unique :)

GPZ900r, I really like this one, for me choice no1.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

I have pondered over this thread for some time and have come to the following conclusion.

If I was lucky enough to have some spare coin I would look to get a Yamaha XS650 and rephase the engine to 270 degrees and give it a cafe racer job with suspension and brake upgrades along with some hot up bits for the donk ( motor)

Would be a nice project. I have watched some good vids on the Tube.

Way back I owned a 76 XS and took it for a long ride. I had blisters on my ass from that one .

Even after that I thought it was a good bike but like lots before and after it I sold it only now to regret it.

Who knows, maybe one day !

Cheers
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Another criteria may be the age of the bike. Around the turn of the century may be the best era. Modern enough to work well and not be too shoddy, old enough to NOT have FI, cats, abs, other emissions crap etc...

I have a year 2000 Yam R6. Last of the carb models. Don't use it much (3k miles in 20 months) but when I do it's great fun. Apart from a can it's unmarked and unmolested. I don't expect it to appreciate in value but I can't see it losing much value either.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

916, 996 or an SP2 i think.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

bigtwinthing wrote:916, 996 or an SP2 i think.
Good luck with finding a dealer with all three in stock willing to let you test ride....
It'd be a fun day, though.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.