Which brake pads ?

General Biker Banter
templ8

Which brake pads ?

Post by templ8 »

Currently upgrading my storms front brakes to 1998 fireblade calipers and am looking for opinions on which pads to use with standard discs.
I've used ebc hh for decades on my bikes but put a set of bendix mrr on my track bike last year and found them great on track.

Should I stick with ebc hh or try something different?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
AMCQ46

Re: Which brake pads ?

Post by AMCQ46 »

I have used Honda, Brembo and EBC on the bigger caliper [CBR600 or blade versions) and would rate Honda and brembo a bit above EBC
AMcQ
budd

Post by budd »

I've tried Brembos, EBC and currently have SBS RS (Racing Sinter) fitted to my Aprilia. I know it's not a Storm but brakes are brakes right? Anyway of the 3 I'd rate the EBC lowest, there's nothing really wrong with them just not as good as the other 2, it's difficult to be objective about brakes unless you actually do back to back tests and measure stopping distances etc so any thoughts are purely subjective and more to do with feel / feedback then outright stopping power. All 3 sets well chirp the front tyres easily and given a proper manly pull lift the rear wheel so stopping power isn't an issue what separates them is the feel at the lever with the EBCs giving less feel and therefore confidence, the Brembos and SBS are much more difficult to split performance is very similar the main difference is price, SBS are considerably cheaper. Brembo SC are roughly £40 per caliper while SBS are around 1/2 that price with a complete set for both calipers just over £40 so for me it's SBS everytime.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

templ8 wrote:Currently upgrading my storms front brakes to 1998 fireblade calipers and am looking for opinions on which pads to use with standard discs.
I've used ebc hh for decades on my bikes but put a set of bendix mrr on my track bike last year and found them great on track.

Should I stick with ebc hh or try something different?

Not easy to recommend brakes, even harder when you don't really explain how you intend using the bike i.e. track, touring, commuting or just rides out, but I can tell you that in my opinion the best overall pads I've used are the original Honda (Nissin) pads, that's for normal road use, fast rides out etc, can't comment on track coz I don't do track days.
Something that might interest you though, and may sway your decision, you indicate you're using 1998 FireBlade calipers, which means you can get a full set of Honda (Nissin) pads for both front calipers for the price of one from a Honda dealer, about £30, don't ask me why, even the Honda dealers don't know why, but for some reason, and it's the only bike that Honda do it for, they sell a full front set as one part number, trust me I know, I have a 1998 FireBlade, and I use standard calipers with standard pads and standard discs :thumbup:
By the way if your location is still correct, you live about 3 miles from me so you can come and try mine out if you like.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Good info there, thanks Cheeky Kev.
I'll be using it for fast road and a bit of commuting.
Don't suppose you have the honda part number do you?, I assume you buy them at Hunts or online from David Silver?

Cheers

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

templ8 wrote: Don't suppose you have the honda part number do you?, I assume you buy them at Hunts or online from David Silver?
Part numbers here: https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/moto-h ... 11510.html

Bung em into David Silvers or other Honda parts shops find by part no. section.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Thanks for that

£24.95 for a full set on silvers website, bargain

cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Yes I go to Hunts, PM sent.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Surprised no one mentioned one of the better pads out there.....
Veshah RJLs. There are a couple others that have been reported to be even better but I haven't tried them yet.
Of all the pads I have run The RJLs are by far the best :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

8541Hawk wrote:Surprised no one mentioned one of the better pads out there.....
Veshah RJLs. There are a couple others that have been reported to be even better but I haven't tried them yet.
Of all the pads I have run The RJLs are by far the best :thumbup:
RJLs are indeed excellent pads (though I have tried a few - 3 to be precise - that are better) and you really can`t go wrong with them...
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

mik_str wrote:RJLs are indeed excellent pads (though I have tried a few - 3 to be precise - that are better) and you really can`t go wrong with them...
Yeah I knew you would have at least 2 better options.....I have the info from your posts around here somewhere.....lol
The RJLs work well for me but then you have a lot more go than me, so you need more whooa...... :lol:

You guys really need to try some of the better pads, you'll quickly find out pads like the EBCs may have a lot of grab but really don't work that well.

Brake pads are one of the most important bits on a bike.... you life depends on them, spend a little extra and buy yourself some good ones at least once, you will notice the difference :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Vesrah are bloody expensive, that is the reason :) Nissin st or ferodo st for me are working good enough. EBC are not that good. But I must admit I would like to try RJL.
macdee

Post by macdee »

templ8 wrote:Thanks for that

£24.95 for a full set on silvers website, bargain

do you have a link i can only see pads for £30
told you not to but oh no you knew better
templ8

Post by templ8 »

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CBR ... art_83765/

Having said that they are £24.95 plus vat.