Looks like it's the last one

General Bike chat
lloydie

Looks like it's the last one

Post by lloydie »

Jscobey wrote:Do the spondon frames have similar braceing to the Roger D style bracing? Or is it just the addition of the ears.

And lloydie are you saying the bike I posted does or does not have a spondon frame?
No not a spondon frame .
And I'm not sure if it has the extra roger bracing .
MacV2

Re: Looks like it's the last one

Post by MacV2 »

Jscobey wrote:Do the spondon frames have similar braceing to the Roger D style bracing? Or is it just the addition of the ears.

And lloydie are you saying the bike I posted does or does not have a spondon frame?

Nope its a std. Storm frame with bits of a SP welded to it so that the SP swing arm can be used.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

lloydie wrote:
sirch345 wrote:How on earth does a Spondon Firestorm end up with a SSSarm :?: No disrespect to anyone who has or would like a sssarm on their Firestorm (I like the look of them myself), but surely the Spondon bikes were built to get the best from them handling-wise. So why would you want to lengthen the wheelbase by 2" (50mm) and mess up the good handling by fitting a sssarm :?:

Chris.
Because they're crazy ! . Shame the spondons got stripped in the first place and at least one still lives in it's truest form :thumbup:
+1 :thumbup:

Chris.
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

So how many is it now with the new find in Ireland?
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

And it gives me a massive hard on to add my name and bike onto the list. :clap: .

how many are really out there, has anybody got a confirmed list of them and can be located.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Added to the list, my work in progress.

Image :thumbup: :thumbup:
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

It is nice to see that they have all been tracked down......well most of them :shh:
While it is all but unknown, there was also a US based VTR program.
I can give you guys the whole run down if you're bored but the cliff notes are the bikes were built by Dan Kyle (AMA tuner of the year '97 &'98) and Bob H. (the US Mori contact) out of Erion Racing (A.K.A. Honda USA)
The bikes were fully prep'ed but not used in AMA for many reasons but IMHO were fully on par with the bikes Roger built.

With that, there were 4 of them and they disappeared many years ago.....they might be in a shed somewhere or possibly stripped down and gone but there is still hope one might be found someday :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

8541Hawk wrote:It is nice to see that they have all been tracked down......well most of them :shh:
While it is all but unknown, there was also a US based VTR program.
I can give you guys the whole run down if you're bored but the cliff notes are the bikes were built by Dan Kyle (AMA tuner of the year '97 &'98) and Bob H. (the US Mori contact) out of Erion Racing (A.K.A. Honda USA)
The bikes were fully prep'ed but not used in AMA for many reasons but IMHO were fully on par with the bikes Roger built.

With that, there were 4 of them and they disappeared many years ago.....they might be in a shed somewhere or possibly stripped down and gone but there is still hope one might be found someday :thumbup:
you have my ears lol.. i contacted Roger and got some great info on what happened all those years ago and its put some light on my own bike for sure.. just waiting on spondon getting back to me aswell.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Im also hearing performance bikes mag had some dealings with spondon vtrs and steve burns. so had another look round the chassis number as the vin plate has been lost/polished to death and stamped into the frame is PB2?..
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

well i will wait to confirm in the next few days but iv traced the bike using the chassis number and a kind man done a lot of leg work for me on the subject but the history of the bike looks better than i could have dreamed of :Bike: Mr Steve Plater is on the job at the min :eek2
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Yeah they do have some interesting histories :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

8541Hawk wrote:Yeah they do have some interesting histories :thumbup:
Thats half the fun finding out the history of these things :thumbup:
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Well for another little tid bit of history on these bikes, there is a reason there are not many "race" parts around.
We have all seen that Moriwaki catalog with all the trick bits. What is not commonly know anymore is as an average guy, you couldn't buy most of them.

You could get the stage 1 cams, stage 1 header, carb kit, ECU (which was an HRC unit) and stacks but that was about it. For all the rest of the parts, you needed to submit your racing resume and they would then tell you if they would sell you the parts or not.

So even back in the day, those parts were all but unobtainium.

:beer:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

And the fact you have to sell a kidney :eek2 :eek2
popkat

Post by popkat »

fabiostar wrote:
i contacted Roger and got some great info on what happened all those years ago and its put some light on my own bike for sure.. just waiting on spondon getting back to me aswell.

Last I heard Spondon engineering were no more. Around 2013 ? Norton bought the company and it's said they destroyed all the jigs and threw away everything else, so they own just the name.. What a shame :(

There is GIA Engineering who worked at Spondon and does similar stuff, they may know about the frames but may not have individual frame/build details.

http://www.giaengineering.co.uk/

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s