My Dream project...

General Bike chat
Pem Brooke

Re: My Dream project...

Post by Pem Brooke »

VTRDark wrote:Pictures don't always tell a thousand words. It's all an illusion. :wink: Love the close up pics by the way :thumbup:
Latest addition...custom made chain guard...just hate the plastic original!! :cool2

Twist it 'til it breaks, then back off half a turn.... :eh:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That looks great 8) nice job,

Chris.
CruxGNZ

Post by CruxGNZ »

My only hang up is the black pin stripping on the tank. It seems to not follow the tank's lines. But, that may just be the picture angle skewing things. Otherwise, absolutely fantastic job on the whole bike. I love it! :D

How did you make that chain gaurd? Laser cut or waterjet? How was that 90 degree angle bent so cleanly?
macdee

Post by macdee »

CruxGNZ wrote:
How did you make that chain gaurd? Laser cut or waterjet? How was that 90 degree angle bent so cleanly?

i'm also interested in how you did this only because its such a tidy bit of work :thumbup:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

macdee wrote:
CruxGNZ wrote:

i'm also interested in how you did this only because its such a tidy bit of work :thumbup:
i am thinking it was L shaped bar, if not you are a magician with the bending machine
AMcQ
Pem Brooke

Post by Pem Brooke »

AMCQ46 wrote:
macdee wrote:
CruxGNZ wrote:

i am thinking it was L shaped bar, if not you are a magician with the bending machine
It's just a piece of 3mm 35X35 ally right angle section...£3.50 on e Bay. Took my jigsaw to it and cut out for the rear shock, then cut a radius at the back to mimic the sprocket radius, but left the top intact so it had a 'tail' so to speak. Then gently curved the 'tail' to line up with the radius cut. Re-inforced the cut out slot with a fillet across the top...you can see the pop rivets on the top. The brackets are just cut from scrap 3mm ally plate, trimmed with a file, and angled to suit.
The whole idea of the project was to make and adapt anything I could as part of the fun. For example, the rear sets were around £200 for a kit...I built them up from bits for £40. Wanted to avoid just buying a kit, both for cost, but also for a challenge.
I have the bike advertised right now but I'm tempted to keep it...just really want to test the water as to its value in case I fancy doing another over the winter. Don't want a garage full Superdreams in the Spring!! :lol:
baycat

Post by baycat »

love what you have done there well done. 46 years ago I use to ride the earlier cb72
podman

Post by podman »

Great work mate, nice job, very cool.
Pem Brooke

Post by Pem Brooke »

CruxGNZ wrote:My only hang up is the black pin stripping on the tank. It seems to not follow the tank's lines. But, that may just be the picture angle skewing things. Otherwise, absolutely fantastic job on the whole bike. I love it! :D

Yeah, I get your point on the pin stripe...the idea was to use the original tank....custom tanks are sooo expensive...and at the end of the day, it's just a Superdream. I wanted to disrupt the lines of the original tank to alter the lines of the bike, so made the pinstripe shape from that idea. Putting curves on it pulls your eyes away from the squareness of the tank (or that's what I thought!!) The lower part of the tank is sprayed matt black (it's not just a shadow) then blended in to the silver, to give the tank a narrower look top to bottom....
Just random ideas really.... :crazy:

Pem Brooke

Post by Pem Brooke »

baycat wrote:love what you have done there well done. 46 years ago I use to ride the earlier cb72

I loved the CB72s!! I had a CB250K0 for a couple of years as a teenager and thought it was the dogs! I remember I paid £249 for a 6 month old bike! Just crazy money now though!
Pem Brooke

Post by Pem Brooke »

podman wrote:Great work mate, nice job, very cool.

Thanks Podman! Appreciate the comments.... :thumbup: