Whens the time to get a new Job?

General Biker Banter
VTRDark

Re: Whens the time to get a new Job?

Post by VTRDark »

You need a secretary or personal assistant to the dirty work like that and then prioritise things that need to be forwarded on to you to go through. Otherwise your job description would be your the secretary :roll: Oh what lovely legs you have, can you wear a shorter skirt tomorrow :lol: Or use software to filter things out and prioritise.

If I allowed posts from forums I belong too I would get a couple of hundred emails a day. Somehow I still manage to go through all the posts and keep on top of things. There is a load to catch up on when I miss days though.
==============================Enter the Darkside
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

when you go in on monday wishing it was friday its time for a new job.when i first went self employed i had two days a week garenteed work,admitedly no mortage to worry about but i now have more work than i can ever keep up with and work in some totaly amazing places.i wouldnt change a thing.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

if your thinking about work in YOUR free time , its time to go. i walked away from a brilliant job in an airport. really good money. but the pressure was non stop. i stuck it for 16 years and more or less walked in one day. said hi to the boss and . oh by the way boss stick your job up your butt im leaving. now.

well that was that. the weight off your shoulders when you make the move is hard to explain.... iv never looked back :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

I have been self employed since the early 90's

Doing various sales roles

Franking Machines, Financial advisor, Commercial finance, then decided to start my own handyman business, all self employed roles

Then decided to start doing proper construction work, build a big company

Got bigger and bigger jobs, worked for Burger King, Office of Government Commerce, and looked after 56 sites for Totesport betting shops amongst others

At the same time we were doing domestic work like a £100k extension and internal remodelling job

I hated it. Got so depressed I closed it all down and went back to being a handyman

A few years ago I decide to get out of that work and started with a company as a self employed Commercial Energy Broker

I find the client, they do all the back office stuff and we split the commission

Love it

Everything I do is for me and the family

There is no one earning a fortune off of my work unless I am earning a fortune as well

If I want to earn more, I don't necessarily have to do more, I work with bigger clients

In the past, when things have gone wrong, or the money is tight my wife has often suggested I get a job

I just cannot imagine working for someone else

I do all that work in order for someone else to get rich? No chance

It's a modern form of slavery

How many people are working for bosses and managers that are nobbers?

Well don't

Countrymick's got it right

Self employed all the way
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It's a modern form of slavery
Your dam right it is especially when big companies, government and corporations are involved. All they care about is making money and their shareholders. Don't give a sh1t about their employees the majority of the time as everyone is expendable with a queue of folk waiting next in line :thumbdown:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

fabiostar wrote:if your thinking about work in YOUR free time , its time to go. i walked away from a brilliant job in an airport. really good money. but the pressure was non stop. i stuck it for 16 years and more or less walked in one day. said hi to the boss and . oh by the way boss stick your job up your butt im leaving. now.

well that was that. the weight off your shoulders when you make the move is hard to explain.... iv never looked back :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

i looked at my contract last night. its dated 1991. I have to give 1 months Notice. They think i have to give 3 months due to my Grade etc lol, i have the same contract for 25 years but with a change in Job titles only inc the new pay etc. All the 4 letters i have say "All other conditions remain the same". Thats gonna hurt them when i give 1 months notice. I will be leaving 3 workshops, with no Managers, 1 Foreman, 2 Suspended inc a Manager who will be sacked after his investigation. 17 fitters and 2 admin staff, with one due an interview on Tuesday.

Do i care "NO" I've worked ridiculous hours for the last 10 months. i can't wait to go.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

bigtwinthing wrote:I have Compliance and H/S issues. i must deal with. I don't delete anything. I open every mail to read it and relocate to appropriate folders.
I have to act accordingly. Today i noticed i failed to open an e mail from last Wednesday. Its cost the company £850 this week for a vehicle Hire cost. I have to read them all see!. However not sure i am going to last much longer.
My goodness! Do they pay you enough? I hope so....
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Do i care "NO" I've worked ridiculous hours for the last 10 months. i can't wait to go.[/quote]

Looks like you have given them notice.If a man is willing to work ,he will always find it somewhere.You seem highly qualified and will soon find something else without all that pressure put on you.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

What an interesting . Says a lot about society today . Sympathy to you btw and to you as well Carl . Carl mate ,going to work should not be leaving you in such pain at the end the day your a brainy git on the computer can you not get something using those skills. ?? At Xmas time I will have done 31 years on the tools mangling up the copper telecoms network. The firm I work for is currently under close scrutiny from ofcom and they are in such deep doodoo I don't think it can be turned round . If it all goes pear shaped we could end up getting tupeied out to some new company complete with longer hours and less money and a crap pension,. Not really how I had hoped to end my working life. Along with all this plus the fact my close up vision is gone and my joints are all achy I have applied for a job indoors ( which I don't really fancy) ... There s no weekends [THUMBS UP SIGN]. It's more dosh [THUMBS UP SIGN] I won't get covered in crap in the freezing cold[THUMBS UP SIGN]. One week earlies one week lates. My master plan even includes going on two days a week when I'm sixty which would be handy as I could draw my pension and it would be up to 21 quid an hour by then . I wonder how it will all pan out? ? Probably won't even get an interview. :)

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

"thread"

lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

The job would be £21 not my pension. ;)

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

at the end the day your a brainy git on the computer can you not get something using those skills. ??
Tried that working for myself and it's so hard to 1st motivate myself and then 2nd chasing down clients and getting the work. Then the client always wants constant little changes made for free of course. Oh can you just change this and then change that. They don't realise the work and time that goes into it. No room to be creative and have them see someone else's vision and how it will work for them as they have their own idea's. Then why hire me then. They may as well go and install a mobile app and use some crappy presets that look exactly the same as everyone else's. Hey screw the quality you may as well take the photo on your phone while your at it.

Not only that being stuck on my own is so lonely so I wanted to get out and about and sitting in front of a screen all day is making me go blind as well as being unhealthy. My eyes are deteriorating with age and screens don't help. Getting a job with a firm is not easy as they either want younger ex uni students with degree's or someone with proven experience under their belt. Self employment don't count. Then they want someone that knows absolutely everything. I'd be happy working (more like fun than work) in Photoshop all day retouching images and doing some creative composition work which I am a master at, but companies now require one to do web stuff and Illustrator work which I know but am not a master or as comfortable with, amongst other things like microshite word etc. I hate microsoft with avengeance and wont insult my Mac by installing that rubbish and refuse to use it. So unintuative and crap. I would much prefer to use InDesign or Quark.

Then the industry is constantly changing so fast I have kind of given up. Got fed up learning , learning and learning and it's not got me anywhere, then there's something new to learn around the corner or problems to work out and hack, find a work around. It's not as if a lot of updates are an extension to what they have done already either as at times they change things completely like Final Cut Pro. Then there is all the insecure and slow cloud rubbish. I struggle to keep up now because I have stopped updating.

It's never ending and things are moving away from pro applications to general consumer based app's or should I say crapp's. Final cut pro is gone and has been dumbed down with Final Cut Pro X. It's totally shite now and aimed at consumers. I think I know the industry too well to the point now where I dislike it and the technology so much. I want a more simple life where I am not sucked into the consumerism designed around companies like Apple making money with updates and changes every 5 minutes. One can spend their life updating and working around the bugs and other issues and then another update comes out and it starts all over again. The internet is wombles, full of shite and run by tossers like google, social networking sites and full of spyware, malware, ransomware etc and selling our souls. The internet is not what Tim Berners Lee intended it to be. I'm more into the dark side now and moving more torwards the underground. Security and privacy comes first. If I can master Unix and the terminal then maybe move towards the system admin side of things. I'm too old school to accept the direction it's all heading in and I remember how good it used to be. Now anyone can go and edit images or build a site using some crappy pre built template or online based website builder. It wont be the same quality but folk don't seem to care or even realise that the quality or usability is crap. It's all about getting it out there as quickly and as cheaply as possible.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant. I'm not in the best of moods as I have not long got back in from late shift at work. :lol:
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

I understood hardly any of that :thumbup:

proves you know your stuff ( or im just stupid). hope it all looks up for you soon carl id follow up on the advice regarding disability

I got an email today telling me they got loads of applicants better suited than me so im not getting invited for an interview .

oh well I,ll get back in my box :lol: :wtf:
chric

Post by chric »

Keep searching for the job you want carl or do apprentice
That's what I'm doing now with council money's sh1t but I enjoy .can see I light at the end of the tunnel
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

chric wrote:Keep searching for the job you want carl or do apprentice
That's what I'm doing now with council money's sh1t but I enjoy .can see I light at the end of the tunnel
Tunnel lighting apprentice...? Much call for that is there ? Where in the tunnel do they set aside for you to get the brews on ?

:lol: :roll: :crazy:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...