CCT Failure

General Bike chat
Kev L

Re: CCT Failure

Post by Kev L »

I think you need your bumps felt fella. Given all of the evidence about the stock tensioners and ,hopefully, having been very fortunate when one failed and despite being a member on here since 2013, when every other post is concerned with failed tensioners/ timing issues, to stick another bullet into the revolver and have another go at Russian roulette seems a little daft to me.
Good luck with it though.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Should be ok just to fit them and do the measurements then remove and do stopper
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Troutman wrote:Ok but do I need to run the engine or is it just a case of fitting them, locking them off, measuring etc and doing the stopper mod?
I want to keep the OEM tensioners rather than converting to manual's or converting them to manuals as I think I like the idea of some dynamic movement going on in there.
Running the engine before doing the Stopper Mod with your brand new standard CCT's fitted would be the best way to go, although you will need to leave the engine until it's cold before carrying out this Modification,

Chris.
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

OK I'll rig up a small tank so I don't have to put the tank back on.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Another option might be to turn the engine over a few times (30 seconds?) with the starter motor (plugs out). That should get them into the correct position? That way you don't have to re-fit carbs etc...
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
playerone

Post by playerone »

Shauned71 wrote:Fingers crossed tightly for you that you get lucky... My cct's started to rattle like hell a month or so after I bought my first storm. I rode around for a few days like it too because I had no idea at the time what the problem was. I got lucky, swapped out for new ccts and off I went.
I had exactly the same with the red one, before I found this place and read about them, took it to a garage down here and they said "oh it's fine to keep riding it, we need to order the tensioners so bring it back next week"...........I guess I was very lucky as I did keep riding it!!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote:Should be ok just to fit them and do the measurements then remove and do stopper
You probably would be okay doing it that way.
KermitLeFrog wrote:Another option might be to turn the engine over a few times (30 seconds?) with the starter motor (plugs out). That should get them into the correct position? That way you don't have to re-fit carbs etc...
That sounds like a good suggestion, that will save you having to wait for the engine to cool down. Just remember to realign the timing marks before removing the CCT's. Also remember the metal cap on the plunger head needs changing over from the old CCT to the new ones,

http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19416

Chris.
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Thanks for reminding me about that. I like the idea of using the starter motor rather than carb refit. Just come back to get a camera so things go back together as they should.
I am lucky enough to own a Ducati 1000SS DS as well as the Firestorm, took it out for a blast this morning, fantastic.
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

HELP PLEASE..
So the rear timing is fine, I was hoping to not have to remove the entire front end and just turn the engine 415degrees so the front will be set for the new tensioner but do you think it would be best to remove the fairing etc so I can get the front cam cover off and make sure the timing is where it should be.
Bear in mind the engine was still running properly when the tensioner failed, I shut the engine off as it was rattling badly. If the timing chain had jumped then surely it would at best have been missing, popping etc...at worst bent valves and a non runner.
When I turned the engine anti-clockwise to get the RT mark lined up just now it was rattling from the front cylinder as tension came on from the cams.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If its rattling as bad as you describe (and it usually the front one that goes) then a quick check of the valve clearances will confirm if damage has been done necessiting head work. So grit your teeth and dig in deep to access the front head.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Troutman wrote:HELP PLEASE..
So the rear timing is fine, I was hoping to not have to remove the entire front end and just turn the engine 415degrees so the front will be set for the new tensioner but do you think it would be best to remove the fairing etc so I can get the front cam cover off and make sure the timing is where it should be.
Bear in mind the engine was still running properly when the tensioner failed, I shut the engine off as it was rattling badly. If the timing chain had jumped then surely it would at best have been missing, popping etc...at worst bent valves and a non runner.
When I turned the engine anti-clockwise to get the RT mark lined up just now it was rattling from the front cylinder as tension came on from the cams.
First of all it's anti-clockwise 450 degrees (one and a quarter turns) not 415 degrees :)

I would remove the front cam cover (as Wicky says) and check that the timing marks all line up correctly seeing as you have had a CCT failure. From what you've been saying you'll probably be okay, but definitely worth checking while you at it,

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I agree best to play on the safe side. The hardest part with the front cylinder is making sure that the cam cover rubber gasket sits correctly when refitting. As for the rest it's not difficult just time consuming if your not used to it.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

OK i'll dig deep and carry on..450degrees of course (360+90) .
Front CCT spring!
https://serving.photos.photobox.com/121 ... 47f236.jpg
https://serving.photos.photobox.com/239 ... f40949.jpg
Can someone make the photos appear?
Last edited by Troutman on Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Troutman wrote:
It doesn't look like it, the links only take you to PhotoBox, no photo's showing to link up with, just this:-

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Would a White rabbit out of hat do instead :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside