Rearset Removal?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
juni5

Rearset Removal?

Post by juni5 »

Sorry guys I just kinda got the bike and I'm trying to get it back in running order. My rearsets are bent and I need to remove both of em...I know you have to remove the swing arm right?

Any tips on how to make the removal a little easier?

The bolt that holds the rearsets and the swingarm doesn't want to come out..So I'm thinking that I need to relieve the pressure on it. Should I put a jack underneath the engine to do this? (I have the bike on the rearstand right now btw) Should I take it off the rearstand? Please help...
2004 600RR
2004 R6
2002 VTR 1000
2000 XR50
1996 YZ 125
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

Best thing to do is support the bike under the engine so that the rear wheel is off the ground. That will allow the rear end to sag and "unload" the swingarm. I used a hydraulic hoist with a wooden block between to two so as not to damage the exhaust etc. I also took the precaution of using two ratchet straps to secure the bike to the hoist so it wouldn't topple.

From my experience it's then just a case of drifting/pulling the swingarm pivot bolt out. I found a big of judicious wiggling of the swingarm helped.

Scubadog
alan

rearset removal

Post by alan »

I also put axle stands with a block of wood ontop at each side of the crankcases this keeps the bike stable when jacked up under the engine.
Infact mine is like this now in the garage very secure.
Alan
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

Alan, that makes sense. The key is to get the bike as stable as possible while keeping the swingarm unhindered so allow the pivot shaft to be removed. Good luck!

Scubadog
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

If you have a garage to work in you could also hang the bike from two ratchet straps attached to the rear subframe with the front end on a paddock stand,and you will need a 18-20mm(i think) dia drift to keep the engine,swingarm in line.
oh and the long spindle bolt can be a bugger to come out
....(tighter than a scotsman in a bar)
one of those abba style stands is good for this job as well as it fite into the bike frame
juni5

Post by juni5 »

Thanks for all the help gents...I'm sure this will save me loads of time in the garage..
2004 600RR
2004 R6
2002 VTR 1000
2000 XR50
1996 YZ 125