Brake binding

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Jazzscot

Brake binding

Post by Jazzscot »

Took the bike for her MOT today. I must be honest and say I didn't give her the once over like I usually do before an MOT as Iv been mega busy recently.

Anyway she failed on the front brakes appear to be slightly binding.

Took her home onto the ABBA type stand I made and jacked her up under the sump.

Tried spinning the wheel and right enough it isn't turning freely. So off with the left hand caliper and removed the pads and pumped the pistons out and gave them a bloody good clean with a toothbrush and some hot soapy water.

They now look as good as new and I managed to push them back in with my fingers no problem. Refitted the pads and pumped the pressure back up.

Wheel now spinning better. For good measure I gave the other caliper the same treatment and refitted.

When I spin the wheel by hand it gets to nearly two revolutions before coming to a stop.

How many revolutions should a wheel be able to do when spun by hand?

Your thoughts please as I want the bike to be spot on brake wise when I take her back for her retest.

Jazz
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
tony.mon

Re: Brake binding

Post by tony.mon »

Sounds about right.
New seals would help; the small bellows bit at the edge is supposed to retract the piston back off of the disc slightly after the brake pressure drop again.
Mikstr fitted ceramic bearings to reduce friction, but I don't think he got a lot more revolutions than two, so I'd say all good for a retest.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

How many revolutions should a wheel be able to do when spun by hand?
Wouldn't that depend on how fast you spin it. :biggrin

Disc bobbins are a good one to check and free up as well mate. Sound like you have sorted the problem out freeing the pistons though, so good work, and re-test time. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Almost two full revolutions sounds good to me as well :thumbup:

Chris.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Don't be tempted to push the pistons back into the calliper to see if there free, pits and rust on the pistons will bugger up the seals etc.

Take them out and clean them, i was always told to polish them with "Brasso" and I've always done that since, i soak the seals first then install the pistons etc. I had a ZX9 once and had to do this yearly.

Most rock ups appear when people fit new pads and just push the pistons back in without cleaning them and then 3 months later the seals leak.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bigtwinthing wrote:Most rock ups appear when people fit new pads and just push the pistons back in without cleaning them and then 3 months later the seals leak.
The number of times I've seen so called car mechanic's do just that :)

Chris.
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Took her back in for a retest today and she now has a nice year long MOT :thumbup:
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

sirch345 wrote:
bigtwinthing wrote:Most rock ups appear when people fit new pads and just push the pistons back in without cleaning them and then 3 months later the seals leak.

Chris.
me too, they push them in with big grips, don't take the lid off the master cylinder and shoot brake fluid all over the inside of the bonnet from the air hole.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Jazzscot wrote:Took her back in for a retest today and she now has a nice year long MOT :thumbup:
Good news Jazz :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good one Jazz :thumbup: nothing quite like getting that out of the way for another year,
bigtwinthing wrote:
sirch345 wrote:

Chris.
me too, they push them in with big grips, don't take the lid off the master cylinder and shoot brake fluid all over the inside of the bonnet from the air hole.
Yes that too :lol:

Chris.
Pistonguy

Post by Pistonguy »

I am having a similar issue, but i cannot get all pots to push in evenly with the MC cover off. Al pistons move freely but if i push one in another moves out and so on. Can get my new pads to fit on the right side without binding. Anything i can do without removing the caliper? Just changed the fluid and re bled and dont wanna do it again all over:-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pistonguy

Post by Pistonguy »

Ps i have already cleaned the caliper and pots as best i can while still attached to the bike.

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Take 'em off & full refurb, worth doing despite the PITA of doing it, that way you can clean up the pistons & check or replace the seals.

You want it done full on ? Send them to Jonesy. The Master Braker ... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Use a flat price of wood across both pistons and a g clamp with a bit if rag tied round it.
Or an old brake pad.
Remember to remove enough brake fluid from the reservoir otherwise it can overflow as you push them all back.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pistonguy

Post by Pistonguy »

Today after work i pulled the caliper and totally disassembled. The seals were fine, not so dirty but one of the pistons had some gunk on it and was binding up. Cleaned it up real good and got it back on and took about an hour to pump up the brakes(no speed bleeder) and it is working ok. I can only get about a rotation and a half on the wheel freespin but its at least not binding anymore. My forkstand has little rubber feet that the fork legs sit on, and i also noticed when tightening the front axle if everything wasn't completely straight it wouldn't spin good, just something i didn't notice before. Will be a couple days till the rain lets off and i can ride but i think it should be good to go. Every time i am a little daunted by a project i grab the old honda shop manual and just take my time and seems to workout ok lol