Ceramic Coating - Headers

General Bike chat
Mav617

Ceramic Coating - Headers

Post by Mav617 »

Hi all,

Like the Storm, the TRX has S/S headers that go a similar mucky brown colour and a re a pain to clean. Anyone ever dabbled with having their headers ceramic coated, and if so were the results good and was it expensive?

http://www.camcoat.com/main/coatings1.html
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
kev64

Re: Ceramic Coating - Headers

Post by kev64 »

That looks well good, very interested in that, will keep in mind
for future :thumbup:
Motomvk

Post by Motomvk »

Blingy
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

iirc the headers have to be in as new condition for the coating to adhere properly. i'm sure a good bead or soda blasting will help do the job, once done i'd be aware of bottoming out the headers and damaging the coating, but other than that i'd be interested to see how they turn out.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

There's a new coating technique mentioned in RiDE recently... can't remember what it was called and Google isn't turning anything up. Some sort of super-hard, microns thin, all the rage in military sort of deal, I'll find out when I get home.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Thats the one, they use it on gun parts, same stuff:

http://www.hi-speccoatings.co.uk/gallery.html
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

agentpineapple wrote:iirc the headers have to be in as new condition for the coating to adhere properly. i'm sure a good bead or soda blasting will help do the job, once done i'd be aware of bottoming out the headers and damaging the coating, but other than that i'd be interested to see how they turn out.
Check out Q3 AP: http://www.zircotec.com/page/frequent_questions/5
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

Ah yeah Cerakote, I thought I had read about something else, as that name is obviously a ceramic coating! Anyway it was in Practical Sportsbikes, and they mentioned Flying Tiger... http://www.facebook.com/flyingtigercoatings

Interested to know how it turns out if you do go for it.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

agentpineapple wrote:iirc the headers have to be in as new condition for the coating to adhere properly. i'm sure a good bead or soda blasting will help do the job, once done i'd be aware of bottoming out the headers and damaging the coating, but other than that i'd be interested to see how they turn out.
The coater will prep the headers as part of the process, no they do not need to be in new condition... though the cleaner they are when you send them the cheaper the prep cost should be.
I have had dozens of headers coated...likle 10 doz over the years.. 3 sets this year already.
I use a local place for a basic coating no bling.. and a place called Jet Hot coating for all others.... let me dig up some pics
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Super Hawk before

Super Hawk After, basic ceramic coating by a local shop that supports the F1 race teams and other racers

After

Street Triple R
before
After, done by Jet Hot coating
Post event services

Total Rider
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Definitely getting the TRX ones done, soon as I get time to get them off, basic clean and send to local coaters. Will post before/after pics.
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

E.Marquez - they look good, can that finish be kept basically by washing them as normal with the rest of the bike?
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

TravisZack wrote:E.Marquez - they look good, can that finish be kept basically by washing them as normal with the rest of the bike?
The gray/green yes mostly.. though it stains if you get oil/lube/ chain lube on hot headers.

The silver, yes, or more so than other coatings that are colored or darker, or mat finish.
Post event services

Total Rider
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

Thank you :thumbup: