Jacking up the rear end

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
andrewlondon

Jacking up the rear end

Post by andrewlondon »

Right after spending ages getting the forks working right i've decided tomorrow is the day i start putting things together.

Anyway, i want a jack up plate to lift the rear end by about 1.5cm to an inch. I was going to delay putting the bike together until i got hold of a jack up plate but my friend told me to use washers? I don't see why it wouldn't work i'm just not 100%.

Could i have your opinions please.

Cheers
kevg

Post by kevg »

i think you can put a spacer between the frame and the top of the suspension mount, i don't think anyone puts more than about 6mm in though, that seems to be about all the front end can handle.
if you search the old posts on this site you should find mention of this.
cheerz

kev
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kevg is absolutely right :!: :!: :!: :!: I can't remember off the top of my head Andrew if you said you have the standard suspension or not, but according to the experts, jacking up the rear or lowering the front has been known to make the bike unstable (probably depends on circumstances, things like riders weight etc) with the original suspenders, so tread very carefully :!: On the other hand if you do have after market higher spec suspension then that's different, although as Kevg said around 6mm lift seems to be the maximum :!:

Chris.

PS. This is what Shaun Pallister recommends for raising the rear

Here's his site, may be of some use to you :!: but remember his suspension is definitely NON standard :!:

http://www.vtwo.demon.co.uk/firestorm/modify.htm#spacer
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Bens top tip

Make up 3 of the jackup plates as per the previous pic

BUT WITH TWO DIFFERENCES

1) Instead of a hole, make it a slot (drill the hole central and then cut down to it from the long edge)
2) Make it 2mm thick (easier to find the metal)

Why?

1) So you can add/remove them to taste without having to strip the whole rear end each time.
With washers you'll not be able to get them off just by undoing the top bolt
2) You can add 2, 4 or 6mm ride height to see the difference and what you like

With the plate as described you can fit it on your own in about 4 mins
Simply loosen the top bolt a bit, then with the bike on the sidestand pull it towards you.
This will create enough space for you to pop the spacer in

I had mine in for 2 years and it didn't move a millimetre and could add more ride height for track days and then remove 2mm for the ride home

Ben
Zer0Zer0

Post by Zer0Zer0 »

Or you could buy and fit an aftermarket shock. with adjustable ride hight..
like mine.......tres' expensive tho... 8)
I AM THE STRANGE MAN YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT......
Have a sweetie and stop crying........
[Werthers Original...they never get rid of the taste]
Max

Post by Max »

I had a 4mm slotted one like Ben described for a while, it definately quickened the steering.
Becareful if you are a bit on the heavyside as its possible to lock up the std forks over bumps due to some issue with the valving I think it was Roger said( Ben will know more).
In the end I got mine Rogered front and rear and its better again.
Max

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I made a 4 mm slotted one as well.
Just loosen of the top end bolt on the shocker, lean the bike over on the side stand and slipped it in. Didn't take five minutes.
Pete.l