problem removing the front axel bolt

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
adyf

Re: problem removing the front axel bolt

Post by adyf »

I find a good spray with plusgas and leave overnight ,cover brakes before spraying, then give it some heft
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I forgot to mention that the spindle bolt is made of titanium, will that have any bearing on things?
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Only that it'll be more expensive to replace if you have to butcher it off. Can't see it having any effect on anything.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Pistonguy

Post by Pistonguy »

I got some fancy titanium pro bolt bits for my bike and they came with some anti seize compound................i didnt use it....... Now im worried lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

disimilar metals need some form of grease /anti seize etc. Stainless to stainless is the same but can be a bloody nightmare. It work hardens when you drill it too. Also s/s is not high tensile remember. Marty are you back in the UK now? if its rideable bring it down i will guarantee to get it off somehow.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

bigtwinthing wrote:disimilar metals need some form of grease /anti seize etc. Stainless to stainless is the same but can be a bloody nightmare. It work hardens when you drill it too. Also s/s is not high tensile remember. Marty are you back in the UK now? if its rideable bring it down i will guarantee to get it off somehow.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

AP you didn't write anything in the last post!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

bloody computer is playing up, i'm 99% sure I used copper grease when I fitted the spindle nut, i'd never had a problem with it in the past, hence why I think it's taken a knock in the accident.... :(
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

have you tried slackening of the yoke bolts incase the forks arent sitting straight and putting the axle under some pressure?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
t13ony

Post by t13ony »

If ur still using a socket or spanner with slight play in it try padding it out with a bit of rubber(a cut from from a roll of innertube puncture patches, or an old inner tube).
This should help the socket bite properly, although by the sounds of things that's not ur biggest issue. It does sound like the axel is under pressure from somewhere. Hope it works out dude.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

fabiostar wrote:have you tried slackening of the yoke bolts incase the forks arent sitting straight and putting the axle under some pressure?
+1 thats a good one
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

bigtwinthing wrote:
fabiostar wrote:have you tried slackening of the yoke bolts incase the forks arent sitting straight and putting the axle under some pressure?
+1 thats a good one
I assume you mean the bottom yoke bolts?
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

If one fork is slightly higher (or 1 lower) the axel bolt will be pinched and may be slightly "cocked" so to speak. That may be making the bolt tight on 1 plane etc. Get the forks off the deck a bit. undo all the yoke bolts and retry .It may work.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Really??
The forks are on springs and go up and down and the fork lowers can twist to any angle around the stanchions. You might get a bit striction from a bent fork or spindle but i don't think it would make that much difference. Tell your 19 stone body builder of a brother to stop being such a sissy and use that six foot scaffold pole you were talking about earlier. It should be more than strong enough to crack any bolt....or snap off the one you've got.
One way or the other it will shift. :D

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Pete.L wrote:Really??
The forks are on springs and go up and down and the fork lowers can twist to any angle around the stanchions. You might get a bit striction from a bent fork or spindle but i don't think it would make that much difference. Tell your 19 stone body builder of a brother to stop being such a sissy and use that six foot scaffold pole you were talking about earlier. It should be more than strong enough to crack any bolt....or snap off the one you've got.
One way or the other it will shift. :D

Pete.l
sorry brute force will always prevail then!. Is was a possibility that is not 100% lined up. Gring the head off then. Then worry about getting the rest out!. Or get a 150 mile scaffold tube, get Pete in Bristol to stand on it with the bike is Spain. :lol: Obviously red and white tape all along it as it would be a trip hazard!!!