Choke retainer snapped/Is it causing issues?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
dpacitti

Choke retainer snapped/Is it causing issues?

Post by dpacitti »

Hi folks.

The plastic nut and thread that holds the choke into the metal frame bracket has snapped. It's actually the threaded part and not the nut. It still sits in its housing but can the little slack that's there cause the revs to fluctuate during idle from 1200 to 14 or 1500? It's not a constant increase but random which makes me think it could be the slack choke housing, what with the vibration the bike gives out.

Also could this cause a flat spot at 2000 to 3000 revs?

Also noticeable is during hard cornering when picking throttle up as u start to come out the corner, bike still leaning, there's sometimes a lack of fuel as if the bowl is starved or maybe even flooded, can't decide. But as u ride out the corner and pick the bike up it clears. Only happens sometimes.

Are these all possible symptoms of the clutch cable bing free to vibrate?

Cheers in advance folks.
StuartWags

Re: Choke retainer snapped/Is it causing issues?

Post by StuartWags »

i have had that happen. I managed to get a used one. But i am pretty sure i have seen someone with machined ones for sale
dpacitti

Post by dpacitti »

Further info of recent jobs that may be related.

After doing manual cct conversion I mistakingly put the vaccum pipe on the drain outlet. Bike obviously ran like sh*t. Figured it out and rebuilt correctly with new diaphragm and all rubbers, o rings etc, so I reckon that's ruled out.

New piper cross air filter fitted and u can hear the difference, it's throatier. With that in mind I'm planning a carb balance this week or next when I can get the tool off my mate. Cct job was thorough, took carbs off but didn't tinker. Kept a clean environment around me. Pretty sure it's not a carb issue other than maybe needing balanced as it pulls like a train and the flat spot is minimal. Just thought I'd mention all this in case one of u storm wizards pick up on something.

Cheers again. Any info helpful.

Does choke cable need replaced in a oner?
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

I have some choke retainers as you call them should you need to replace yours.. just let me know if you do.
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
dpacitti

Post by dpacitti »

Stewart did u replace the fitting only or the whole cable?

Gl_s_r. Is it the one at the frame u can supply where u actually pull out the choke? I've seen the problems people have had with the plastic ones at the carbs, but mines is at the frame mount.
Cheers guys.
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

I have the whole choke assembley... cable etc should you want it?
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
dpacitti

Post by dpacitti »

Excuse the ignorance but, as I haven't looked at the whole assembly, do you know if the fitting is replaceable, or even the first part of the cable as opposed to the whole thing?

Cheers
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

gl_s_r wrote:I have some choke retainers as you call them should you need to replace yours.. just let me know if you do.
Oooh, if you mean the pull handle end, I broke mine last week as shown here;

Choke just hanging in the breeze at the moment, was wondering whether to bodge it or get a new one.
Last edited by Twitchy on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Build thread; http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36638
dpacitti

Post by dpacitti »

Twitchy, that could be a photo of mine. Exactly the same break as mine. Needs replaced really. I used areldite which holds most things but snapped again after 5 mins riding, after leaving 3 days to harden.

Are u getting any of the symptoms I mentioned?

Cheers
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Twitchy wrote:Image
Hmmmm? Is it possible to unscrew the broken bit from inside the knurled adjuster....then cut away/remove the tiny broken threaded bit.

After that, when the choke closes, you should be able to screw the knurled ring onto the larger remaining thread bit.

It will make the choke tighter, and maybe even make the bike run a bit rich and faster rpm all the time - but it's a get you by till a new cable turns up.

The bike should start with no choke in this weather (warm-ish at the moment). Clutch in, 1/4 throttle and push the starter. Once the bike bites, keep her revving at 2000rpm, and she'll be hot-to go after a minute.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
macca__macca

Post by macca__macca »

My choke cable has failed in the same way and my idle is equally shaky too! I bought a new cable but have not installed it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dpacitti

Post by dpacitti »

Twitchy.... good thinking. Gonna give that a go. My choke still operates fine and still sits in its housing but it's loose and with the vibrations these engines make I'm thinking that's why the idle is slightly bumbling around. Gonna try that fix tho, makes sense.

Macca, let me know please if changing it cures it cheers.
macca__macca

Post by macca__macca »

Will do. I've put this job off for months because to replace the cable is a huge pain and you have to remove the tank, air box, carbs etc., and I've never done that before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

macca__macca wrote: to remove the tank, air box, carbs etc.
You don't have to remove carbs just loosen them and dislodge to replace the choke cable. Also a good time to fit a front vacuum takeoff (and hose) on the front cylinder for easy carb balancing.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
dpacitti

Post by dpacitti »

Wicky, could u enlighten me on fitting the vaccum as I'm about to balance carbs. Waiting on gauges arriving just now, might as well make the mods while I wait. Cheers.