Repairing my downpipes

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
chippy 55

Re: Repairing my downpipes

Post by chippy 55 »

Don't you have trouble with fully stainless clamps galling (sticking) on my bike the clamp is stainless but the bolt that tightens it is steel to stop this
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

The W4 Mikalor Supra clamps are fully marine grade stainless (band and bolt) and survive and work despite the salty apocalypse that is British winter roads.

W2 clamps have stainless bands and the bolt is zinc-plated mild steel which will last only for a couple or three years if ridden all year round before rusting.

Spec sheets for each at bottom of page: http://www.mikalor.com/supra-heavy-duty ... eSupport=1
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

pics of the area. some of the exhaust port area and the others are the problem area/where i think the air is blowing from. hopefully this will give a better idea of the issue and the best way to solve it.
Looking at pictures wont solve anything but what I can tell is that it all Pretty clean. I've seen a heck of a lot worse. Give those nuts a good soaking in lube everyday :roll: that sounds so wrong :lol: They should come off fairly easily by the looks of it.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Metalmad18

Post by Metalmad18 »

To be fair the pipes themselves are in good nick for the age. Probably been replaced a few times.

What size w4 clamp am I getting then cus there's a huge choice on fleabay. You can buy kits but they work out more expensive than buying the stuff separately.
Honda VTR 1000F 1997 Black
Arrow Exhausts
Maxton Rear Suspension
Renthal Grips
R&G Bar Ends and protectors
ASV levers
Blackbird Stand

Wanted
Manual CCT's (bought but need to be fitted)
Mosfet Reg/Rec
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Metalmad18 wrote:To be fair the pipes themselves are in good nick for the age. Probably been replaced a few times.

What size w4 clamp am I getting then cus there's a huge choice on fleabay. You can buy kits but they work out more expensive than buying the stuff separately.
Wrap something like string round the pipe nr the existing clamp to get the circumference and then from that work out the approx diameter clamp you need using pi. Off the top of my head I recall 57-60mm but check on yours as different systems might differ from that - As it required different size clamps when changing my stock system to when fitting aftermarket link pipes for racier cans.

Do the same for the 2 other clamps on the header system and get all three in one order.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Metalmad18

Post by Metalmad18 »

Ok so I measured the pipe coming from the engine (couldn't measure any further down the pipe) and it comes to 141mm which using the equation C=πD it comes to ≈ 45mm

The outside of the clamp already on it is 60-63mm (so a 60mm should work, perhaps a little small to make sure it clamps down enough.

Obviously these may be a different size to the clamps needed for the end cans, but just a sounding board really, does that sound about right? similarly I will have to make sure the gasket seal is right for this, but considering the pipe it is fitting into the clamp will need to be slightly larger.

on the plus side, went to Halfrauds and picked up some copper grease, silicone lubricant, some wet and dry and silicone sealant, so I should be all set to do both the exhaust work and manual CCT's soon. The Reg/Rec is ready to be wired in too but I still may stump up for the mosfet. unsure atm. Especially considering I need to find some one with a soldering iron that I can borrow that can accommodate the outdoorsy style of work that needs doing.
Arrow Exhausts
Maxton Rear Suspension
Renthal Grips
ASV levers
Blackbird Stand

Wanted
Mosfet Reg/Rec
Metalmad18

Post by Metalmad18 »

Right job done.

Bought gasket seal and clamp. Exhausts off. Front pipe off at the engine. New gasket in with some copper grease. As i out it back i put in new gasket seal and clamp (bit tricky even with copper grease because the gasket seals like to fall to bits if something is even slightly forceful. Opened out the female part of the downpipe a bit. Slotted it all back together with some effort mind. It was a tight fit. Bought a 55-59mm mikalor w4 as suggested and it does the job but not tight enough for my liking. Although it doesnt move when the bike is running. Bought a 51-55mm clamp instead.

Exhausts back on, start her up. Watch all the cooper grease burn off that i forgot to clean up (smoke everywhere) and check again. Still a fair but of heat coming out of there from the pipe but no noticeable blowing.

Has anyone discovered a way to reduce the heat from that area? I'll update this when i get a smaller clamp but the heat is mainly emanating from the pipe i think.
Arrow Exhausts
Maxton Rear Suspension
Renthal Grips
ASV levers
Blackbird Stand

Wanted
Mosfet Reg/Rec