Black Storm From Derby

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Metalmad18

Black Storm From Derby

Post by Metalmad18 »

Hello all

My father left me his black 1997 VTR and it had stood for around 4 years.

After quite a bit of work fixing all the old bodges on it and finally getting it running again I'm happy to say it is on the road again.

It still needs a lot doing to it. (may do the CCTs and R/R as a matter of caution because I can't find out if they have been done already or not - the CCTs looks stock) Headstock needs a little bit of work but it can wait

vibrates quite a bit and very very loud with arrow cans - still needs A LOT of money spending on it but I can't wait to do it all. My last bike was a cbr600fy and I sold it to restore my Dad's VTR.

Hope you like it and all advice suggestions welcome so long as any work I should get done is within sensible range of Derby.

Thanks all

FYI I put the matching belly pan on it today. Not sure whether I prefer it or not.

Hoping to make quite a lot of use out of this awesome site.

thanks guys
Honda VTR 1000F 1997 Black
Arrow Exhausts
Maxton Rear Suspension
Renthal Grips
R&G Bar Ends and protectors
ASV levers
Blackbird Stand

Wanted
Manual CCT's (bought but need to be fitted)
Mosfet Reg/Rec
Ckennedy

Re: Black Storm From Derby

Post by Ckennedy »

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you got a nice little project there. You should have plenty of fun riding it.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Metalmad18

Post by Metalmad18 »

Thanks - You should've seen it this time last year ;) Quite happy I can ride it now. Sentimental value is through the roof :)
Arrow Exhausts
Maxton Rear Suspension
Renthal Grips
ASV levers
Blackbird Stand

Wanted
Mosfet Reg/Rec
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome in
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Welcom in Metalmad, looking good that well done with getting it back on the road.

Re the R/R if you look under the righthand side of the tail faring, seat off 2x bolts, 2x screws & 2x trim clips (if still fitted...) you'll find the R/R on the side of the sub frame towards the tank...IF it looks like the one here...http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 30#p387201 then it hasn't been changed. If it has fins on it it has but there are different types that fit which can still fail...

Best bet is to find & fit a Mosfet type one like this...http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 58#p385888
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Oh & they all vibrate a bit.... :lol: :lol: The joys of a V twin...

How ever its worth balancing the carbs might help a bit.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Welcome to the forum. Shake, rattle, and roll it's a v twin. I am waiting for Kreiger ccts at the moment coming from USA. Then I shall be looking for somebody local to fit them. Any takers on that? I'm not looking for a free job.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Metalmad18

Post by Metalmad18 »

Yeh I did some research and reading and I'll take a look today. It looks like the CCTs are stock and I got a very helpful email this morning from a forum member recommending a guy in Holland (Thank you!)

I'll check the R/R today.

It currently has racing footpegs on it so I'll swap them out for originals with rubber pads to reduce vibrations in the feet.

Exhaust is currently burning my inner thigh off so might buy some new downpipes, its seems as though the exhaust is blowing out of the centre connection under the seat between the shock and engine. Tried tightening the bolt but didn't help too much. If anyone knows any good places to get some (already seen the stainless steels ones on ebay for £249) then I'm all ears.

Still a fair few bits to do but the more I do the more excited I get to do more.

cheers guys
Arrow Exhausts
Maxton Rear Suspension
Renthal Grips
ASV levers
Blackbird Stand

Wanted
Mosfet Reg/Rec
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Welcome aboard buddy
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Metalmad18 wrote:its seems as though the exhaust is blowing out of the centre connection under the seat between the shock and engine.
There is a graphite gaskit which blows out in there. I think the last one I replaced was about £8-00 ( afew years ago :wink: )
Not a terribly difficult job but it will entail undoing the header bolt nuts which can seize and be a pain in the ar$e. You might want to invest in a nut splitter and just replace with new ones.

:D Welcome Aboard BTW :D

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Exhaust is currently burning my inner thigh off so might buy some new downpipes, its seems as though the exhaust is blowing out of the centre connection under the seat between the shock and engine. Tried tightening the bolt but didn't help too much. If anyone knows any good places to get some (already seen the stainless steels ones on ebay for £249) then I'm all ears.
Greetings

Yup sounds like there's a problem with the graphite seal on the rear downpipe (part no. 6 > http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces- ... STORM.html ) also replace the clamp with a W4 Mikalor Fully stainless clamp - And while you've got the rear end apart it will give you the opportunity to access to check and grease the rear suspension bearings.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Metalmad18

Post by Metalmad18 »

I think I might have one of these lying around somewhere from when I bought the downpipes for the cbr.

How exactly do perform this job then? (sorry to sound thick) similarly for the rear shock check. can anyone link me to a good resource or offer a quick explanation? That diagram was really good. It is the join between part 10 and part 1(the big bit)

I can do most stuff but some things I haven't had to do before so I like to research it a bit first. The posts and resources on this site are really good. I've already seen the Reg/Rec and CCT's stuff on hereand they are really good.

thanks
Arrow Exhausts
Maxton Rear Suspension
Renthal Grips
ASV levers
Blackbird Stand

Wanted
Mosfet Reg/Rec
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Download the Honda PDF VTR1000F service manual from the Workshop Knowledgebase sub forum, and check the "*** IMPORTANT*** Swingarm and linkage bearings servicing***" thread. To access the back ofthe engine area you'll to securely hoik the back of the bike up and unbolt stuff that gets in the way to get at the rear pipe and linkages.

Metalmad18 wrote:I think I might have one of these lying around somewhere from when I bought the downpipes for the cbr.

How exactly do perform this job then? (sorry to sound thick) similarly for the rear shock check. can anyone link me to a good resource or offer a quick explanation?

I can do most stuff but some things I haven't had to do before so I like to research it a bit first. The posts and resources on this site are really good. I've already seen the Reg/Rec and CCT's stuff on hereand they are really good.

thanks
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome back :thumbup:
You're doing a good job there :clap:
You should be very proud of what you have achieved with your Dad's old bike, I'm sure he would be,

Chris.