General running

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Big_Jim59

Re: General running

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I have both a VFR and a VTR. My VFR is a Y2k with fuel injection. They are different animals in every way. The VFR is smooth, the VTR tickles my fingers. The VFR is wide and the VTR is trim wasted. The VFR has a quick throttle response and the VTR likes to stutter a bit (need to look into this.) I just love the feel of the VTR but I would loath to take it on a road trip. It is not nearly so civilized and that's the fun of it.

I tend to ride both my VFR and my VTR over 4000 rpm. I do not like to lug and engine. My only problems is matching revs and getting into the right gear for low speed corners.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Big Jim,

I once rode 900 Klms on my VTR in one day.

The fuel tank is a blessing and I regularly get 220 KLms out of a tank and then the rest when refuelling is welcome.

These things are fun all the way and munch the miles with ease.

I have sampled many other bikes while the VTR has been in my possession and can honestly attest that it is fun all the way! The further you go on the VTR the better it gets although the fuel stops are welcomed.

Glad to see that the VTR is getting used and Hey, forget about the noises it makes just enjoy the ride.

It has been my experience after owning over 40 bikes during a 48 year span they all have their foibles , BUT(The most negative word in the English language) the VTR is the easiest to live with over a wide range of riding conditions.

If your not careful you will find the VFR languishing in the Man Cave.

I currently have an Aprillia Tuono RSV4 in the cave and still the VTR is the favourite.

Next time you ride, try it above 7000 revs (3Rd & 4Th and you will see a different side to the VTR! They love a good flogging and come back for more.

Keep it above 3000 revs and it's easy to live with. The less you load up the crank on these things the better. (Especially if you have a lightened flywheel)

Welcome to the club mate,and what an introduction you had with all the drama regarding the engine in your bike.

Ride and enjoy!! :thumbup: :wave:

P.S Sorry for the rant but the VTR is a great all round bike that always pleases no matter what the situation.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

Furrybiker wrote:I found mine was easier to ride in town after going up 1 tooth on the rear sprocket.
:beer:
+1 on that, I was struggling in traffic as well then went up a tooth on the rear, totally different bike in traffic :thumbup: much more tractable and can usually stay in second gear, yes you lose a few mph on top end but I'm getting to old for hyper speed now anyways but it makes wheelies much easier :lol:
Four wheels move the body,
Two wheels move the soul.
budd

Post by budd »

Bananaman wrote:
Furrybiker wrote:I found mine was easier to ride in town after going up 1 tooth on the rear sprocket.
+1 on that, I was struggling in traffic as well then went up a tooth on the rear, totally different bike in traffic :thumbup: much more tractable and can usually stay in second gear, yes you lose a few mph on top end but I'm getting to old for hyper speed now anyways but it makes wheelies much easier :lol:
go up to teeth on the rear big improvement all round and you should lose any top speed because on the OE gearing they won't rev out in 6th changing the gearing allows you to use all of top gear.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

budd wrote:
Bananaman wrote:
go up to teeth on the rear big improvement all round and you should lose any top speed because on the OE gearing they won't rev out in 6th changing the gearing allows you to use all of top gear.
And you also change the weight bias and wheel base length and a few other things....

Or you could save your cash and just rev the engine a little more.

Again the myth that the bike won't pull to the limiter in 6th with stock gearing..... Completely factory stock that is true but it will once the carbs are set and you shed a few lbs (exhaust cans and all that extra plumbing)
I can say this because I have done it.....well back when I had a ECU with a limiter.

You also get "It will wheelie easier"...well yes it will but is that what you really want?
The limiting factor with stock gearing is keeping the front end down, so making it even harder to do so just slows you down.
Also by shortening the wheel base you take weight off of the front end (one of the reasons it wheelies easier) which makes the bike more unstable when leaned over.

Yes you get quicker turn in because you have also changed your rake and trail number(again more unstable)..... Good for slow speed but might cause issues at higher speeds.

I ran the short gearing for around 5 years. so I can see the appeal but I switched back to stock gearing and the bike works so much better.

Also I am trying to remind you guys that you change much more than just the power band when you change gearing.
Be ready to reset your suspension as you have completely changed your chassis set up.

Then again you could just keep the revs above 3K and if you have issues shifting into first, adjust your shift linkage or try a different oil.
Once mine was adjusted properly the 1st to 2nd shift is easy as can be.

Carry On.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Carry on,

sh1t Hawk when I read that I laughed,

On a more serious note I have often wondered why VTR owners have altered the gearing.

I have never bothered as I find it easier to twist the wrist so to speak!

And there is no need for any derogative comments thanks!

Here in Oz most of my riding is done in open country and I avoid built up areas as much as possible.

The average cruising speed her is 120k per hour and on the VTR that is very relaxing.

My thoughts are that The lower the revs at cruising speed the kinder I am being to my bike.

Keeping in mind that anything under 3000 revs is not good and is boring as well. :thumbup: :beer: :beer:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia