does this look normal?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mightyscotspine

does this look normal?

Post by mightyscotspine »

Fear not, this isn't a sexual disease question..
I have stripped back my non working vtr.. It wouldn't turn even with cams off, so rear head removed as that's where the sound seemed to be coming from.
Only one sheared exhaust bolt..
Pic of valves below hopefully.
Do they look low/dropped?
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r144 ... C_0046.jpg
Cheers, Jon.
bsabloke

Re: does this look normal?

Post by bsabloke »

Is the cam lobe pushing the open valves down? If it is rotate the cam & see if valves close. Any marks on top of the piston? 8O
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

A job to tell for sure going by the photo as it could be the angle you took it at, but it does look like they are both bent to me.
As bsabloke suggests, check to see it the cam lobes are holding the valves open, if not then they will be most likely be bent. Also with the engine not being able to turn over with the cams removed would suggest the same, as they would be stopping the piston moving once up against them,

Chris.
mightyscotspine

Cams are off so no pressure pushing them down. Should they not sit flat without a cam lobe pushing them?
Pic of piston here.. http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r144 ... C_0048.jpg
Ta for your replies, this is a bit beyond my knowledge..
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Yes, the valves should be sitting just as the other two are with no pressure on them from the cam lobes.

The piston doesn't appear to be damaged going by your photo.

You say this is a bit beyond you, I'll say you've done well in getting to this stage :clap:
You'll need a valve spring compressor to compress the valve springs so you can remove the collets which hold the valves in place. Don't compress the valve springs more than necessary to remove the collets. Make sure all the bit's you remove go back in their original places.

Once the valves are out you'll be able to see the bent shafts. Hopefully the valve guides are not damaged, you should be able to check that once the valves are removed with a visual check,

Chris.
mightyscotspine

sirch345 wrote:Yes, the valves should be sitting just as the other two are with no pressure on them from the cam lobes.

The piston doesn't appear to be damaged going by your photo.

You say this is a bit beyond you, I'll say you've done well in getting to this stage :clap:
You'll need a valve spring compressor to compress the valve springs so you can remove the collets which hold the valves in place. Don't compress the valve springs more than necessary to remove the collets. Make sure all the bit's you remove go back in their original places.

Once the valves are out you'll be able to see the bent shafts. Hopefully the valve guides are not damaged, you should be able to check that once the valves are removed with a visual check,

Chris.
Thanks Chris and bsa.. I thought they didn't look right. I shall go and get a valve spring compressor and hopefully not lose any bits!! Next question, do I remove the front head too? Or just see if it will rotate on crank now?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mightyscotspine wrote:
Thanks Chris and bsa.. I thought they didn't look right. I shall go and get a valve spring compressor and hopefully not lose any bits!! Next question, do I remove the front head too? Or just see if it will rotate on crank now?
Yes, you need to take care removing the collets are they are easy to drop.
No need to remove the front head at this stage, the chances are it'll only be the one cylinder with bent valves. You can try to turn the engine over now, but you really need a helper to hold the cam chain taught (keep it pulled upwards) so it doesn't drop off the crank sprocket/cog, as it may jamb up if it does,

Chris.
bsabloke

Post by bsabloke »

Have you removed the cct?Has the cct failed?
mightyscotspine

bsabloke wrote:Have you removed the cct?Has the cct failed?
HI,
I did the cct screwdriver tension test, it sprang back. So I'm presuming they're ok. The tension looked ok on the chain when I removed the cam cover. But then I'm not sure what ok is! It all seemed in place.
macdee

Post by macdee »

looks like the piston and valves both have marks on them indicating they have touched
the valves look bent in the picture
how much play was in the cam chain
told you not to but oh no you knew better
mightyscotspine

macdee wrote:looks like the piston and valves both have marks on them indicating they have touched
Hardly any play in chain, but I guess I should replace the tensioner for a manual one unless the one I have already is that?
mightyscotspine

mightyscotspine wrote:
macdee wrote:looks like the piston and valves both have marks on them indicating they have touched
Hardly any play in chain, but I guess I should replace the tensioner for a manual one unless the one I have already is that?
My tensioner..http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r144 ... 0047_1.jpg
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

mightyscotspine wrote:

My tensioner..http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r144 ... 0047_1.jpg

Standard unless it has a stopper mod...if it has it hasn't worked... :(
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

Looks to be a standard cct but the bolt at the back looks like it may be moded im sure some one else can shed light on it.
1998 black vtr (mods cbr900 fork conversion, ohlins rear shock, ohlins steering damper, prolite discs brembo master cylinder, goodridge braided lines, harris rear sets, Quick shifter,Mario Fairing, etc)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

looks like the piston and valves both have marks on them indicating they have touched
That's exactly what I was thinking. They are well bent.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside