Tickover issues/running help

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
freeridenick

Tickover issues/running help

Post by freeridenick »

It's been ages since I did anything on my project bike, but I'm now getting round to finishing it. Once I sort the shock arm out.

Before I took the back end apart I managed to start her up after about 3 years idle. She seemed to run smoothly enough but with a very low tickover, well under 1000rpm. The choke cable was slipping a bit, but when I pulled it out and held it the rpm went up. Seemed to be OK opening the throttle too.

As the engine warmed up opening the throttle cause the bike to stall. It started again but would stall unless the throttle was opened very slowly.

Any clue how I should start diagnosing the problem? I'm thinking it's just the idle screw that needs adjusting, but could be the idle jets, or a blockage in the carbs. I probably should have drained the old fuel out first :oops: .
Wicky

Re: Tickover issues/running help

Post by Wicky »

Take off the carbs and give em a thorough clean, and you said fresh fuel. New plugs, airfilter and a good service.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Air filter is new. Plugs pretty new too and I've replaced all the fluids.

Will try new fuel and a carb clean.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

freeridenick wrote:Will try new fuel and a carb clean.
Sounds as if you've hit the nail on the head :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You can start with tightening the choke knob. It's held in place on the frame by a plastic nut at the rear. Tighten this and and then the choke wont slip. Then adjusts the idle with fingers through the right hand side of the frame. Front carb you will see the black knurled adjuster. Turn one way or the other, get the bike idling. Warm her up re-adjust the idle speed and go for a good spin to clear the cobwebs.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Erm.... these are standard symptoms of the vac line being on the wrong spigot.....

If it's a mark one, 16 litre tank, the vacuum line should be on the spigot at 9 o'clock, not the one pointing vertically down.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

cybercarl wrote:You can start with tightening the choke knob. It's held in place on the frame by a plastic nut at the rear. Tighten this and and then the choke wont slip. Then adjusts the idle with fingers through the right hand side of the frame. Front carb you will see the black knurled adjuster. Turn one way or the other, get the bike idling. Warm her up re-adjust the idle speed and go for a good spin to clear the cobwebs.

Just to clarify what Carl has said...

As you pull the choke knob out, if it wont stay out you can tighten it up. Where it seat is a rubber cover, pull this off & you will see a knurled plastic nut, carefully tighten this up...DONT Marty baboon tighten it as they can snap ! This should make it so the choke stays out...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Just to clarify what Carl has said...
Much better put. :thumbup:

==============================Enter the Darkside