Told Not To Bring It Back!

General Bike chat
2wheelsagain

Told Not To Bring It Back!

Post by 2wheelsagain »

So I’ve been having a little brake trouble on my storm.

Fairly sudden long lever so booked it in for a bleed and check over at the local Honda shop (Owner owns a SP1 & SP2!)
In between the booking and having the work done I lost the front brake completely out on a ride and cruised the 200km home at a reduced rate.

On arriving at the shop a day earlier than planned I find a weep from the master cylinder around the banjo bolt and washers.
Simple I say. They’ll nip them up and rebleed and all will be sweet. I returned after work and the lever is nice and firm. Hand over $77 (AU) and ride away happy until I get home after 40km and have half a lever again! No leak at the MC this time but at a calliper banjo. Great I thought. They’ve undone the banjo to help the bleed and haven’t done it up. I get a quarter of a turn out of it but pumping the lever it’s still weeping. No drama I think I’ll take it back and they can fix it.

So I arrive at the shop first thing Monday morning un announced and show the owner what the problem is and he goes into a rant about being sick of dealing with modified bikes! He doesn’t want to fix it and offers my money back from last week. That’s no good to me I say. I want it fixed. It’s a simple brake repair. I’m happy for you to replace the banjos and washers if necessary. That’s not the point he says. Honda spent millions in R & D and clowns ignore that and do mods! He says leave it and walks off....... The mechanic is there staring at the ground in embarrassment.

So I get a lift to work unsure if they will touch my Storm let alone fix it but I get a call late afternoon saying it’s done come pick it up but don’t bring it back.
Mechanic serves me. No charge. He shows me he replaced all banjo washers. I try to make peace by buying an oil filter and crush washer but the owner just wants to see me walk out the door and fuq off.

Amongst other things my bike had braided lines and 954 callipers. Pretty standard and well proven mods if you ask me. I didn’t ask him to reset the MCCT’s or rejet the carbies or fiddle with any other reliability mod I have done. I hadn’t been to the shop since June 14. Its not like I pester them every week about something.

I’m mighty pissed I was told not to bring it back. The servicing on my new VFR1200F won’t be done by them I assure you.

Have you ever been told not to come back?
It may only be my opinion but it's mine!

~ My Bikes 2014 VFR1200F & 2000 VTR1000F ~
lloydie

Re: Told Not To Bring It Back!

Post by lloydie »

I wouldn't of gone there in the first place (too far) .
Sounds like he has great customer service skills !!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

''Have you ever been told not to come back?''

Only from a pub... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I've been told by a shop that they wont touch bikes over ten years old.

I've been told by a bike shop they can't seem to fix a problem and to take a bike else where, and you could tell genuinely they couldn't find the problem.

but I did get told once by a bike shop that they wouldn't honour a warranty, and it didn't go well with me, they fixed it in the end.....wont go into to much detail.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It sounds like the owner was having a bad day (stressed) for whatever reason, even so not right to take it out on you, after all paying customers are what keeps his business afloat,

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Remember to tell every biker in your area about his attitude, seems to me your not the first person he's spoken to like that.

They strike me as "Tighten it till it snaps, then back it off half a turn" type mechanics :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like you have a master cylinder seal failure, the leak can be misleading because it runs to the lowest point/part before dripping all over your paintwork & that's bad :thumbdown:

Buy a seal kit or get a second hand master cylinder (EBay) :thumbup:

Then get yourself a brake bleeder (Google it), it connects to the nipple (not the shop owner) & causes a vacuum at the caliper end & sucks all the air/oil bubbles out, just make sure you top up the master reservoir, easy :thumbup:

Personally, I'd rather someone fiddle with the wife :problem: than fiddle with my brakes, much too important :thumbup:
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

I don't think the owner understands the business model very well tell the customers not to come back means he wont be there for long.

A wise guy told me once if you take care of your pennies then the pounds take care of them selves.

I would employ the mechanic and set up a shop the opposite side of them with the slogan we don't tell our customers to never come back of some thing in that line.

I have never been asked never to come back again from any where may be an ex once :biggrin
1998 black vtr (mods cbr900 fork conversion, ohlins rear shock, ohlins steering damper, prolite discs brembo master cylinder, goodridge braided lines, harris rear sets, Quick shifter,Mario Fairing, etc)
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

MacV2 wrote:''Have you ever been told not to come back?''

Only from a pub... :lol:
a brothel for being "Far to Big" lol :lol:

or was that "far too small" :(
Last edited by bigtwinthing on Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Virt

Post by Virt »

Lloyd has said it a few times, but he doesn't mean it! The old softy :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Personally I would not take my bike to a garage to have work done on it(with the exception of changing a tyre etc), I appreciate that some people have to because of time or not mechanically minded, but I have a few instances where I have had to re-do the shops work cause of leaving it in a dangerous state, or not to my standards.

When you have to go over a bike and check all nut and bolts are torqued correctly, then in my eyes it's not worth taking it there.

The only person other than myself that I would trust playing with my nuts would be Tony....
2wheelsagain

Post by 2wheelsagain »

Varastorm wrote:
Sounds like you have a master cylinder seal failure, the leak can be misleading because it runs to the lowest point/part before dripping all over your paintwork & that's bad :thumbdown:
Guess what I discovered on returning home from work tonight?! A fine droplet spray pattern on top of the RH fairing!! This farking bike is giving me nightmares!

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I can only reiterate what bazza696 said and say learn to DIY if the shop's quality of work leaves the bike in a dangerous condition. Sometimes it can be the garage trainee who does the work who learns the trade from their mistakes... which you ride away on.

If you spend the money that you would have in workshop rates on the tools necessary for the job in hand instead you'll save money and aggro. Get a master seal kit, study the workshop manual, work out what tools you need and get it fixed before you come to harm.
2wheelsagain wrote:
Varastorm wrote:
Guess what I discovered on returning home from work tonight?! A fine droplet spray pattern on top of the RH fairing!! This farking bike is giving me nightmares!
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
2wheelsagain

Post by 2wheelsagain »

Wicky wrote:I can only reiterate what bazza696 said and say learn to DIY if the shop's quality of work leaves the bike in a dangerous condition. Sometimes it can be the garage trainee who does the work who learns the trade from their mistakes... which you ride away on.

If you spend the money that you would have in workshop rates on the tools necessary for the job in hand instead you'll save money and aggro. Get a master seal kit, study the workshop manual, work out what tools you need and get it fixed before you come to harm.
2wheelsagain wrote:
Varastorm wrote:
:thumbup: Looks like kits are about $100 delivered (au) from UK or US. Any paticular brand I should get?
I have the tools for this job and will buy a bleeder kit as well.

Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Wicky wrote:I can only reiterate what bazza696 said and say learn to DIY if the shop's quality of work leaves the bike in a dangerous condition. Sometimes it can be the garage trainee who does the work who learns the trade from their mistakes... which you ride away on.

If you do it yourself you know it's done right. Not only that but the Internet and forums like this give you access to a huge knowledge base. If you run into problems there are real experts, lurking around, to help you out.

I worked as a mechanic, years ago, and I knew all types of guys twisting wrenches. Some were really great with the public. Some were such huge jerks that you had to hold the customer back so they wouldn't commit murder. Some of the biggest jerks were the shop owners. Some people should never work with the public.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Remember to protect your bike from the brake fluid, paint work etc, and also remember to wear gloves and if you are cleaning up the calliper and changing seal, if you are going to spray clean it remember to wear protective glasses, some people will laugh but if anything goes in your eyes you wont be.

When you return fluid back into the brake system, try and get a mate to help at the calliper end or on the level end, it will save time and make it easier, patience is the key, for this simple job.