Swing arm linkage help needed

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
freeridenick

Swing arm linkage help needed

Post by freeridenick »

Got the linkage off pretty easily, but how do I get the needle bearings out without the proper tool?

They're frozen in a bit and it looks like there's a stop that prevents the two bearings being pressed in too far. So I can't get a drift in.

Anyone got any tips? Couldn't find anything in the link servicing post.
MacV2

Re: Swing arm linkage help needed

Post by MacV2 »

freeridenick wrote:Got the linkage off pretty easily, but how do I get the needle bearings out without the proper tool?

They're frozen in a bit and it looks like there's a stop that prevents the two bearings being pressed in too far. So I can't get a drift in.

Anyone got any tips? Couldn't find anything in the link servicing post.
With a long thin drift you can get in to knock one side out then the other side is easier to do.

Can't remember what I did mine with but it was something like a bar from a socket set for a 1/4 inch drive T bar. A long flat blade screwdriver would do the trick.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
bsabloke

Post by bsabloke »

Made a tool to drift out bearings. Stepped end to fit inside old bearing. Shouldn't be anything to stop bearings being pushed out. Pm your email & i can send a picture. :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Heat will help, too.
The aluminium alloy housing will expand more then the steel bearing.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

A heat gun should do, you would be surprised how good they are for jobs like that.

Handy to warm your hands too :thumbup:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

So I should be able to drift both bearings out the same side? I wouldn't do that, but there's nothing to stop the bearings moving too far towards the middle. Just so I'm clear.

I'll give them a good soaking in WD40 and see what happens. The bolt was easy to get out compared with some I've read about on here.

Thanks everyone.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I took a stubborn seized bearing to bike shop which had a hydraulic press to remove it and put a new one in.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

[quote="freeridenick"]So I should be able to drift both bearings out the same side? I wouldn't do that, but there's nothing to stop the bearings moving too far towards the middle. Just so I'm clear.

I'll give them a good soaking in WD40 and see what happens. The bolt was easy to get out compared with some I've read about on here.

Thanks everyone.[/quote]

No you do them one side each.

Poke your chosen drifting implement through one bearing to knock the other one out then turn it over & drift out the remaining one.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

No joy after much soaking in WD40 and some 'gentle persuasion', so I took it to my local garage. Sorted in half an hour.

When they went, they went with a bang apparently, so there's no way I'd have got them out at home.

Back on the bike this weekend hopefully. :beer: