Anyone know anything about wood burners?

General Biker Banter
VTRDark

Re: Anyone know anything about wood burners?

Post by VTRDark »

Get one with a back boiler in it and you can heat your water too. :thumbup:
3.Make sure that you are able to sweep the flue or clean the chimney easily with brushes and or vacuums.
an inspection flap/hole will be required to insert brushes pipes etc to do the annual chimney clean/sweep
and clean and remove soot etc . They are more efficient when the flue is clean ..
Oh yes chimney fires can get a bit scary but not as scary as forest. :eek2

Here's the one we had in Portugal

When I go and stay with my mates in Sussex I sleep in front of the wood stove during the winter. That's once I have moved the dog from in front of it. :lol: They have a Dunsley burner and the burner's flow goes straight up the chimney stack.

Seasoned hardwood is what you want. You can burn pine, pallets and all that sh1t, but it burns fast and if you leave the door open it spits, so a fire guard may be required. We usually leave the door open as we all smoke :smoke: up the chimney/burner rather than go out when it's cold and/or wet outside. It's not the most efficient way to burn leaving the door open. :roll:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
simon t

Re: Anyone know anything about wood burners?

Post by simon t »

For a 60 euro licence we have the right to decimate a huge swathe of French mountainside for 3 years - mostly beech. :D Am planning to have a decade's stock by the time the licence expires at the end of 2015 -but then we do get through around 10 stere (6 tonnes) each winter. Saving around 900 euros per annum - less petrol, chainsaw and chainsaw accessories.

May buy a replacement stove, as the one that came with the house is ugly and cr@p - would love to bank the fire up for the night but it draws too much. Tried tweaking the mechanism, but it's just a bit of bent tin and a cover plate. French engineering :roll: