My rear shock collapsed!

General Biker Banter
Jamoi

My rear shock collapsed!

Post by Jamoi »

Evening gents, just thought id share this in a different thread...

Went for a spin today on Frankenstorm, I was leading a hungry pack of GSXR's and Blades so the pace wasn't slow, all was going well until I pulled into McDonald's (classy) went over a speed bump and...... crunch!!

The preload adjuster ring has snapped in two, allowing the spring to rise right up to the top mounting bolt area.

I've not seen it happen before and feel very lucky it didn't happen when making progress on the road 8O

The bike wouldn't stand up on it's own as the shock was fully compressed...

Thankyou for the offers of your spare shocks Lloydie, Kev.

MacV2 has kindly offered to remove his wonky donky shock and bring it up via Snetterton next weekend :thumbup: Although I'm unsure of the spring rate on the Hyperpro spring.

I'm thinking I might look out for an aftermarket shock, but I'm broke and they never turn up 2nd hand :(

Well, I think it was just a freak occurrence, so I wouldn't panic about your shocks. But I will update this thread with pics of the shock when I remove it for you guys to have a look :thumbup:
Jamie :wave:
lloydie

Re: My rear shock collapsed!

Post by lloydie »

What you lead the gixers !!!! But they have like 600bhp !!!

sh1t about the shock doing that ,must of been adjusted with a hammer and punch weakening the ring
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Do you like the fact they'd all fecked off when the AA finally arrived :lol: :lol:

Magnum turned up for dinner though, Stormers are the best :D
I adjusted it to the second from softest setting the other week, the adjuster ring looked mint :confused I used a proper ring spanner thing... so at least I can't blame myself haha
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Scarey business mate. Doesn't bare thinking about if it had happened at full chat!!!! 8O
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

magnum turn up for a macdonalds..............NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!
sorry to hear about the shock, but as you said, at least it happened at slow speed you fat bloater..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Kev L wrote:Scarey business mate. Doesn't bare thinking about if it had happened at full chat!!!! 8O
True that, been popping a few wheelies and haven't held back over the humpback's... I'd have thought that would have killed it before a poncy little speed hump in a carpark! I still can't believe it 8O
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Someone was watching over you today mate. (If you believe in all that bollox!!)
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

one big mac meal to many.................. :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

:eek2 Mmmm well done for pitstopping and it snapping then.

I've got a spare OEM one lurking in my shed you're welcome to.

There's a WP shock up on fleabay with less than a day to go > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201181887363? ... EBIDX%3AIT
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Crap luck Jamie. Like you said at least it didn't let go when riding at pace, could have been a totally different story. If I have any bits left over from my storms that you need (though I doubt it) your more than welcome to them
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's shocking news mate. Your a very very lucky boy, scary thought, but you could of ended up with a spring in your butt.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
popkat

Post by popkat »

8O Lucky it happened where it did, you could have ended up with a mega vfr type wobble bounce thing :thumbdown:
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
ging500

Post by ging500 »

Glad your okay fella!!
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Cheers lads, you're all too kind (except Marty haha), the WP shock looks good, but I'm not in a position to have a bid on it :( I'll get the old shock off as soon as I can.
popkat wrote:8O Lucky it happened where it did, you could have ended up with a mega vfr type wobble bounce thing :thumbdown:
I shouldn't laugh MalcoBobkat, but that was a mega vfr wobble bounce! very impressive! :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

lucky boy Jamie.......... post up some photos of the collar, I am interested to see where it failed
AMcQ