what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
Jscobey

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Jscobey »

mik_str wrote:I did some quick calcula]ions and this should help me drop an additional 10 lbs of rotating weight compared to my already light PVM magnesium rims.... free hp :) Have read that braking is wicked too....
thats nuts considering you were already running mag wheels. believe it or not my buddy had to dial back the brakes on his R6 (brembo calipers and MC) after putting on the mags because there was so much initial bite that it made it hard to modulate the brakes for a given corner. almost felt like you grabbed a fist full when you where lightly 1 or 2 finger braking.
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

The brakes work very well now (Galespeed 17.5x17 raidal MC; Daytona 675 Nissin monoblocks, Zcoo pads, Braktech 298mm stainless rotors), so I can only imagine how much better they'll be. Have read that the CMC, while very powerful, also have very good feel (can tell you that the Galespeed MC made a nice difference in feedback and smoothness)..... fun, fun, fun......
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote: I did some quick calculations and this should help me drop an additional 10 lbs of rotating weight compared to my already light PVM magnesium rims.... free hp :) Have read that braking is wicked too....
I'm amazed at the weight difference between the two (Dymag and PVM) wheels, that will for definite make a noticeable difference I'm sure 8)

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

the wheels themselves are about 7 lbs lighter (than PVMs, which are themselves about 8 lbs lighter than stock), the rest (3 lbs) is from the CMC rotors...... the rims themselves weigh 50% of the stock bits (from what I was able to gather, stock items weigh 31 lbs, Dymags are 15.5, with a reduction in MOI which is even much more significant)..... FWIW, wheels on modern sporbikes are much lighter than our VTR's stock unit, so carbon rims are not as "attractive" as they once were, though they are still a significant upgrade.....
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

7lbs IMHO is still a big saving and still a fair difference between the two.
Cheers for the info on newer sportbikes wheels being lighter, I think I remember Lloydie mention something about that with one of his bikes.

Something to look forward too, trying out the new lighter bits, even if it is going to be next year :thumbup:

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Today I fitted a 3mm spacer to the rear shock mount to see how it changes things as I had a good neutral handling and just wanted to see what would happen with this set up I'm running at the minute .
As normal it's gave it faster turn in but also a little more stable in the bends ,
Kermit now feels very planted and I feel one with it .
Corner speeds are rising again as my confidence is building with it .
I think now I have a very good set up and very please with it woohoo .
And to top it of I had one of them rides home in the dark that makes you love the storm more and more :-)
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

sirch345 wrote:7lbs IMHO is still a big saving and still a fair difference between the two.
Cheers for the info on newer sportbikes wheels being lighter, I think I remember Lloydie mention something about that with one of his bikes.

Something to look forward too, trying out the new lighter bits, even if it is going to be next year :thumbup:

Chris.
Yep 07 blade wheels ,I'll get them on the scales over winter to find out just how much lighter if any they are .
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

what shock are you running on Kermit?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

countrymick wrote:what shock are you running on Kermit?
OHLINS :shh:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Got board and refitted the mori headers back to kermit and a standard oil filter guard also the race can hanger brackets just in case I can stump up the cash for the track day :-)
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

Ran out of fuel thinking id make it to the next station as i had not done the usual 100 miles guess i was wrong.
1998 black vtr (mods cbr900 fork conversion, ohlins rear shock, ohlins steering damper, prolite discs brembo master cylinder, goodridge braided lines, harris rear sets, Quick shifter,Mario Fairing, etc)
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

nt1980 wrote:Ran out of fuel thinking id make it to the next station as i had not done the usual 100 miles guess i was wrong.
There a bugger to push ain't they :-(
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Shagged the rear tyre with 785 miles over the weekend on the Wales meet...I knew it was in need of replacing but the M/way work on the way home finally did it in good & proper... :lol: :lol:

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Swapped the rear Wheel over from Smokin Joe to Neu Red, need to use the bike tomorrow & the tyre on Neu is a bit past it...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
nt1980

Re: what have you done to your

Post by nt1980 »

lloydie wrote:
nt1980 wrote:Ran out of fuel thinking id make it to the next station as i had not done the usual 100 miles guess i was wrong.
There a bugger to push ain't they :-(
I was lucky i was 5 mins away from a family member who saved me with 5 litres of your finest :D
1998 black vtr (mods cbr900 fork conversion, ohlins rear shock, ohlins steering damper, prolite discs brembo master cylinder, goodridge braided lines, harris rear sets, Quick shifter,Mario Fairing, etc)