Airbox dyno runs 2014

Just post charts and set up details.
mik_str

Re: Airbox dyno runs 2014

Post by mik_str »

tony.mon wrote:It effectively covers both, roughly duplicating the effects of going down three sizes of main weaker or a half size richer.
Just curious, but is this a "guesstimate" range or one based on observations gathered from Lamda readings?

Seems much more effective on the lean side of the equation anyhow......
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

mik_str wrote:
tony.mon wrote:It effectively covers both, roughly duplicating the effects of going down three sizes of main weaker or a half size richer.
Just curious, but is this a "guesstimate" range or one based on observations gathered from Lamda readings?

Seems much more effective on the lean side of the equation anyhow......
Nope, I got it the wrong way round, Mik.... :oops:
Having re-read the leaflet that came with the kit, you can make it "a fair amount richer and go slightly leaner" which is what I meant.
The adjustment has a remarkable effect of fuelling, though, a half turn was making about .5 difference to the overall mixture, reading from the lambda sensors on each downpipe and cross checked against the exhaust sniffer probe on the dyno, which tests gas from both cylinders after it has mixed together, of course.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm liking it Tony, keep up the good work. :clap: :clap:

Interesting how the figures changed and the AF smoothed out with the flow commander, though you still have some turbulent air there as neither AF's are a smooth transition through the circuits. You still have that lean dip in the middle. I knew the flow commander would smooth things out but wasn't expecting the big increase in torque like that.

I always thought the flow commander only worked on the mains though, as it feeds through via the main air jet!!! I'm sure I have seen separate ones listed on their site for the pilot circuit on other bikes, Harley's and others IIRC (or am I thinking of some other device :think: ) so one basically ends up with individual controls for the mains and the pilot. Unfortunately they don't offer one for the VTR.

I'm wondering if it effects the needle at the crossover point onto the mains at 7000 ish, then if there was a flow commander on the pilot circuit, it would then have an effect at it's crossover at 3000 ish plus a slight effect on the rest as it tapers off through the circuits.

Mmmm interesting!!!!!!! I really want one of those flow commanders now. It's still on my shopping list.

Two circuit flow commander

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

thanks for that Tony :)

FWIW, I chatted with the chap who makes them (F-C) a few years back and he told me I could fit one for the pilot circuit. Having adjustable fuel screws, however, has made that somewhat unnecessary IMO....
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Having adjustable fuel screws, however, has made that somewhat unnecessary IMO....
Kinda the same thing really, Fine tuning the Pilot circuit. So your most likely right. All a flow commander would do is give easy access to adjustability. Unless.... with the flow commander being linked to both carbs gives an even finer tune and/or smooths things out as a whole. I suspect the A/F screws are better with the individual controls over each carb.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Well I've certainly learned a bit more about the F/C, thanks Guys :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

cybercarl wrote:I'm liking it Tony, keep up the good work. :clap: :clap:

Interesting how the figures changed and the AF smoothed out with the flow commander, though you still have some turbulent air there as neither AF's are a smooth transition through the circuits. You still have that lean dip in the middle. I knew the flow commander would smooth things out but wasn't expecting the big increase in torque like that.
The increase in torque is the airbox rather than the fc, I think.
The carb rubbers had to be fitted without clamps, and I think there are air leaks, which I will have to fix before I can do any more. Additionally the cans are falling apart, and letting air in,c ausing poppoing and bangine on the overrun- more than usual, anyway.

Once I get those done I can fine tune a little more.

Fun, though, innit? :plainsmile
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

it would be great to see you do another run with a new chain and sprockets, and having sorted the cans, before you whack in the hi comps and ram air tubes
but these runs ain't cheap.... :( .
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

agentpineapple wrote:it would be great to see you do another run with a new chain and sprockets, and having sorted the cans, before you whack in the hi comps and ram air tubes
but these runs ain't cheap.... :( .
Neither are decent chain and sprockets, so I will be running those until they are hanging off.....

I'll sort the cans out if I have a minute over the BHol weekend, but I haven't any baffle material, so probably not more than a re-rivet for now.
But mostly I'll be getting the pistons and cams in. Gotta get it run in before Wales.....

I can get cheaper dyno runs, but the local place is only five mins from my home, so it's dearer but nearer. And the boys there like the development work, there's always a little crowd when we fire it up on the rollers....
They know what they're doing, too:
http://www.slipstreamtuning.co.uk/