2007 VTR 1000 - problems cutting out in the rain

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
djenkins-nz

Re: 2007 VTR 1000 - problems cutting out in the rain

Post by djenkins-nz »

Yeah it's not the plugs. Tried new ones and then swapped old ones back in so leads have been off and on a couple of times and always firmly seated.
djenkins-nz

Post by djenkins-nz »

Time to resurrect this thread again.

I ended up putting the bike in the shop months ago. They absolutely drowned it and could get it to repeat the problem. It's been running like a dream since then........until Friday.

Same old problem in heavy rain. Cut out and fortunately I managed to take shelter under an overpass and waitied it out. It took about 20 mins for it to 'dry out' to the point that I could start it again. By that time the rain had subsided somewhat and I managed to make it home.

Same thing again today (Wednesday after my Friday episode). Got caught in heavy rain and it cut out once again. This time though I was able to restart it immediately but only by using the choke. It wouldn't start without it at all. It ran really lumpy as I sat there for about 5 mins with it at 3000rpm (in the rain) and then it gave a bit of a cough and completely cleared and then I made it home again.

So what does this new symptom add into the mix? ie it wouldn't start normally, only with the choke and then after 5 mins coughed and cleared??

Any additional info appreciated.

Cheers
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Mine did the same Saturday .
I swapped all the electrics .
But I fear it was just the tank breather getting blocked with rain as pointed out by amcq
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

djenkins-nz wrote:Time to resurrect this thread again.

I ended up putting the bike in the shop months ago. They absolutely drowned it and could get it to repeat the problem. It's been running like a dream since then........until Friday.

Same old problem in heavy rain. Cut out and fortunately I managed to take shelter under an overpass and waitied it out. It took about 20 mins for it to 'dry out' to the point that I could start it again. By that time the rain had subsided somewhat and I managed to make it home.

Same thing again today (Wednesday after my Friday episode). Got caught in heavy rain and it cut out once again. This time though I was able to restart it immediately but only by using the choke. It wouldn't start without it at all. It ran really lumpy as I sat there for about 5 mins with it at 3000rpm (in the rain) and then it gave a bit of a cough and completely cleared and then I made it home again.

So what does this new symptom add into the mix? ie it wouldn't start normally, only with the choke and then after 5 mins coughed and cleared??

Any additional info appreciated.

Cheers
Been a bit soggy here lately. Where in the country are you, Im in Auckland.

Mine was doing this recently. But Ive done the coil on cap mod and yesterday when it bucketed down the bike ran fine.
djenkins-nz

Post by djenkins-nz »

NZSpokes wrote:

Mine was doing this recently. But Ive done the coil on cap mod and yesterday when it bucketed down the bike ran fine.
Yep...In Auckland and Ive picked all the wrong times to ride home on both nights and been caught in the worst of it and getting sick of the apprehensive feeling wondering if the thing is going to die in the outside lane on the motorway in a narrow section where roadworks are happening and there is no exit path for a dead bike :(

Whats the coil on cap mod?

Cheers
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

djenkins-nz wrote:
NZSpokes wrote:

Yep...In Auckland and Ive picked all the wrong times to ride home on both nights and been caught in the worst of it and getting sick of the apprehensive feeling wondering if the thing is going to die in the outside lane on the motorway in a narrow section where roadworks are happening and there is no exit path for a dead bike :(

Cheers
I had my old GPZ400r blow its battery out on the outside lane of the Southern years ago. Trucky in a big rig saw my problem and held up the motorway to let me get off. Top guy. I got blasted by hail on the way home tonight.

If you need a hand with it , just give us a yell.

You get some cbr stick coils and replace the stock ones so the coils now sit on the plugs. Easy as. Great thread on it here, http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/kn ... mod-23004/
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I did the stick coil mod on mine, but then had the same probs as Bazza- losing the front cylinder in the wet.
As I have Lambda sensors fitted I can tell which cylinder is cutting out real easy- that helped.

Then, upon closer inspection, the casing on the front stick coil had split. problem solved, I assumed.

But I've recently had a recurrence, and the coil isn't split, and so I bought a bicycle inner tube (use the mountain bike size if you want to copy) and cable tied it to the feed wire; it sits over the plug cap.
Haven't had it out in the rain since, but hopeful that this will seal the deal.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

djenkins-nz wrote:
NZSpokes wrote:

Cheers
Did ya ride home tonight? I almost got blown off the Mangere Bridge......
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The bike is running rough now regardless of the weather. Seems hestitant (slight surging) when coasting just of throttle load, but open it up and it seems to get better.
Here it started to make me think fuelling issues.
This time though I was able to restart it immediately but only by using the choke. It wouldn't start without it at all. It ran really lumpy as I sat there for about 5 mins with it at 3000rpm (in the rain) and then it gave a bit of a cough and completely cleared and then I made it home again.
Same here :think:

Interesting how it appears to only happen in the rain though which suggests electrical. Another potential area for dampness in heavy rain is at the rear by the ECU's. Might be worth giving them a quick check over and a squirt of contact cleaner. If the coils/leads get ruled out and we are still thinking electrical then the next thing I would be checking is the Converter Unit which is kind of a coil in itself. It would be handy if you could swap, lend, borrow one for testing purposes. After that if things are still not right I think I would start chasing down other routes, carbs/airbox, fueling. Electrical issues can be a pain to track down and take some lengthy meticulous testing and diagnoses to pin point. Easier to start with the ignition system, then fuelling and leave any hardcore (especially intermittent) electrical issues to last.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

cybercarl wrote: Electrical issues can be a pain to track down and take some lengthy meticulous testing and diagnoses to pin point. Easier to start with the ignition system, then fuelling and leave any hardcore (especially intermittent) electrical issues to last.

Last time I had hard-core electrical issues I was bricking it, until I came up with a concrete solution.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

What are you like. You brighten my day and make me laugh!! :clap: :clap:

==============================Enter the Darkside
TRUCKMECH

Post by TRUCKMECH »

HI DJENKINS-NZ. READ YOUR PROBLEM HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME FAULT.
WENT THROUGH ALL CONNECTIONS, ETC. ELECTRICAL IGNITION SYSTEM.
DID YOU RESOLVE YOUR ISSUE?
IF SO CAN YOU PASS ON THE CURE?
WITH THANKS TRUCKMECH SYDNEY AUST.