A little afternoon project

General Biker Banter
Xenocide

A little afternoon project

Post by Xenocide »

I realised that the helmet hook on the VTR is useless unless you have a strap to put through the d ring on your helmet. I don't know if they came with them but mine certainly didn't. I decided to make one.

You will need:

A couple of tiny strips of metal
Some bicycle brake cable
Heat shrink
Cable braid
Zip tie
Pliers/vice/hammer or something like that.

Sorry about the blooming in the pictures. My camera lens is scratched to buggery.

This is the brake cable i'm talking about. I used a bit about 18" long but I suppose it could be anything.

Bend the end over and zip tie it to hold it roughly in place. This is flop about all over the place so what I do is...

Wrap some copper wire around it to hold it. Good if you're doing a solder joint too by the way. This is just a few strands from a household power cable.

Then get you strip of metal. This is what I used. It's 1mm stainless and the strip is from a pnumatic metal shear but you could just cut it with snips or something.

Bend the bit of metal so it's in a "j" shape and loop it round the cable. Crush it in the vice (or whatever you're using). Then bend the other side over and crush again. This is plenty strong enough.

You can see the cable braid here too. Put that on after you've done the first one. Then put some heat shrink over the ends and heat it up. You're left with this.

Nice little fun project. Took about 20 mins. I tried using solder first but it didn't work so resulted in crushing.
'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs
tony.mon

Re: A little afternoon project

Post by tony.mon »

Nicely made. :clap:

But don't you just out the hook into the double-d-ring, then put the seat back on?

That seems to work ok with my helmet and seat...But I've left the seat hooks mounted onto the subframe in place- I know a lot of people remove them, but then you can lever the seat up and lift the d-rings off their hook.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

None of my helmets have the d rings far enough down. To allow the seat to go back on :(
'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Xenocide wrote:None of my helmets have the d rings far enough down. To allow the seat to go back on :(
Ah, that explains it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
macdee

Post by macdee »

nice work X
i know a few places i could use this
some ferrules might make it easier to clamp the wire :thumbup:
told you not to but oh no you knew better