Mileage before valves need adjusting

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
kitsun

Mileage before valves need adjusting

Post by kitsun »

Dear All

Just doing a poll to see what is the mileage one has to do before the valves clearances are out and need adjusting.

kit
Jscobey

Re: Mileage before valves need adjusting

Post by Jscobey »

well technically they isnt really a millage that they for sure need adjusting at. having said that the manual states that clearance should be "inspected" every 16000 miles. in section 3 of the manual there is a whole page on how often things should be checked and changed.
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yep every 16000 miles unless you have had some head work done that requires them being done. or just want to check them for peace of mind. If they have not been checked since owning the bike then it's always a good idea to check them so you at least know where the bike stands maintenance wise.

Is this a general question or have you some cause for concern?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
kitsun

Post by kitsun »

cybercarl wrote:Yep every 16000 miles unless you have had some head work done that requires them being done. or just want to check them for peace of mind. If they have not been checked since owning the bike then it's always a good idea to check them so you at least know where the bike stands maintenance wise.

Is this a general question or have you some cause for concern?

Just thinking of checking my clearance but and wondering whether i need to get a set of shims of various thicknesses if necessary. so i don't have to open the covers more than once.

I know about the clearance check every 16k miles, but am wondering whether anyone needed to adjust the clearance at that mileage? my bike has done 22k miles and bought used. so not sure whether the shims have been done.

kit
darkember

Post by darkember »

Usually you will find them on the tight side. Just grind them down by hand to the center of the range & you will never have to do them again.
kitsun

Post by kitsun »

darkember wrote:Usually you will find them on the tight side. Just grind them down by hand to the center of the range & you will never have to do them again.
how do you grind them by hand and still ensure that the shims are tolerably flat?
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

I was thinking about this subject the other day?

obviously they have to be checked but what is the consequence of not doing them ? ?

:thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

what is the consequence of not doing them ? ?
Too many to mention. Bike not running as well as it could do basically :lol: bad fuel economy, rough running, excess heat, too quiet or too noisy, more wear and tear etc. It depends how far out it is and whether there's excess or too little clearance and how long it's been runing like it really.

==============================Enter the Darkside
darkember

Post by darkember »

kitsun wrote:
darkember wrote:Usually you will find them on the tight side. Just grind them down by hand to the center of the range & you will never have to do them again.
how do you grind them by hand and still ensure that the shims are tolerably flat?
Easy you use a cobalt impregnated flat stone