Head bearings clicking

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mavar1ck

Head bearings clicking

Post by mavar1ck »

Hi, I have renewed the head bearings after hearing a clicking noise. I still have the clicking noise after installing taper bearings. If I tighten them it clicks if I loosen them it clunks. I have just tightened them by hand and put the locking nut on bent the tabs. Took it out it's worse than ever. Clicking over every bump and turn. If I tighten them a little more it still clicks. I am starting to think it may not be the bearings can anyone help or suggest something.
I have gripped the forks there is no play, they seem to fall easy ish to left and right with no notchyness.

What is wrong?
VTRDark

Re: Head bearings clicking

Post by VTRDark »

Have you checked and greased the wheel bearings and does it get worse under braking?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
mavar1ck

Post by mavar1ck »

no not checked the wheel bearings, doesn't seem to get worse under braking pretty constant over bumps and turning. Even when i get it out the garage it clicks once which is why i thought it might be the brakes sticking at first but it isn't.

It sounds like the keys tapping on the yoke but it isn't as i have held them it still makes a clicking noise.

Would i be able to hear the wheel bearings? Would there be play as i can't feel any anywhere on the bike.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yes you would hear wheel bearing as either a whooshing noise or if they have already started to wear badly and any of the ball bearings have badly worn or starting to fall apart then they would click as they hit each other. A bit like one of those desktop gadgets with half dozen balls in a line on a pendulum, if you know what I mean.

I would at least jack the front up and spin the wheel, have a listen or better still remove the wheel and investigate further. They may just need a good jollop of grease in there and along the axle. There's also tubular spacers inside the wheel where the axle runs through just behind the wheel bearings. One of these may be loose and making a noise. :think:

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Taper rollers or ball type?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mavar1ck

Post by mavar1ck »

Taper
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Have a look in the workshop knowledge base and there are some instructions on how to set the tapers s they shouldn't click
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Can you feel it click or clunk in the bars ?
Another one could be fork bushes .
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

cybercarl wrote:Yes you would hear wheel bearing as either a whooshing noise or if they have already started to wear badly and any of the ball bearings have badly worn or starting to fall apart then they would click as they hit each other. A bit like one of those desktop gadgets with half dozen balls in a line on a pendulum, if you know what I mean.
I would at least jack the front up and spin the wheel, have a listen or better still remove the wheel and investigate further. They may just need a good jollop of grease in there and along the axle. There's also tubular spacers inside the wheel where the axle runs through just behind the wheel bearings. One of these may be loose and making a noise. :think:

newtons cradle. :thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's the one....still, I think I explained it rather well. :thumbup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_cradle

lanny

Post by lanny »

Long shot, but are the pads seated and secured, check the rotas also. :thumbup:
mavar1ck

Post by mavar1ck »

lloydie wrote:Can you feel it click or clunk in the bars ?
Another one could be fork bushes .
Can't really feel anything through the bars that's what is strange. Handling seems good as well apart from the time I did them up a little too tight.

What are the symptoms of fork bushes? would there be a leak or play?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

You get a knock when the forks compress but you will feel it .
Have you checked the brake pads ?
They can give a tick or knocking sounds when you roll the bike back and forth with the brake lever on a little
mavar1ck

Post by mavar1ck »

Will have a look tomorrow. Will check wheel bearings and brake pads. After that I think i may give in and take to the garage.
darkember

Post by darkember »

Another simple oversight can be missing screws that hold the bottom of the fairing to the radiator brackets. Mine used to rattled and clicked till I cable tied them.