This winter's rebuild and mods

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tony.mon

Re: This winter's rebuild and mods

Post by tony.mon »

lloydie wrote:£360 good I had £400 in mind so that's a bonus :-) :lol:
If you can find my supplier.......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

mik_str wrote:
mik_str wrote:Here are some pics of my modded airbox lid with integrated filter. Note that the shield on the inside can be removed (will likely try it with and without).

Put the re-jetted carbs and "filtered" lid on today...... looks awesome. The front of the tank is lifted slightly and the foam seals up against the tank right to the front, leaving the front "mouth" open. The air is now fre to come in from the normal area (directly behind the steering head) as well as from the gap at the front of the tank; she won't be starving for air now :)

Looking forward to firing it up when the temps warms a bit.

well, after yesterday's drama (leaking carbs adn dead battery), my friend Jack Flash (he of adjustable fuel screw fame) lent me a battery to use until my new one comes in. So, I finally got to take the bike out for a ride (with Mr. Flash). I am currently trying the Gen 1 airbox lid (with internal air dam) and the results are.... WICKED!!!!! I guess it helps that I estimated very well with the jetting (went up 1 size on pilot, 1.5 on needle, and 2 sizes on mains). It runs clean everywhere with no stumbles whatsoever and throttle response is instant. While the seat-of-the-pants is unreliable at best (especially after a winter away) but the bike seems to pull better everywhere. Jack noted that I was leaving small puffs of smoke when rolling on the gas, so I backed off the F-Commander screw an extra turn and leaned off the handy adjustable fuel screws and it runs even crisper now, with no plume when giving it gas.

Overall, am quite pleased with the results. Will get around to trying the Gen 2 at some point, but for now, I have to worry about a move at the end of the month so I will continue to run and evalute Gen 1, smiling all the while :).
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Serlant

Post by Serlant »

Do tell tony? I'd definatly be interested, did you get standard size pistons in the end? or manage to get the cylinders bored. I set about putting mine back together today and realised i'd only bought 4 bearing shells, only enough to do the half of anything (oops)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Bought some standard size JE's but no cash as yet for the rings, so I'll wait until I do the next bit of work on someone's bike, cct to manuals, a head rebuild or valve clearances.

I'll just hone the bores on the engine as it is; no smoke when accelerating, and the compression is good so I'll run with the bore I have for now rather than a rebore and buy 1st oversize pistons and rings.

I'm in no rush, really- the bike's being used as a commuter these days, and more power is so not necessary on the Sarf Circular.....
Still playing with airbox mods, though- that's on the airbox mods thread.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.