Tyre pressure

General Biker Banter
Lord Flasheart

Tyre pressure

Post by Lord Flasheart »

So it's been a week since I start riding the storm and I've still be struggling with getting used to the steering. Thought it was just because I wasn't used to the riding position so wasn't counter steering correctly. Had a go on a mates sports bike, could get it to turn no problem.
Now when the chap from the garage dropped my bike off he told me he'd checked the oil levels, stuck some petrol in and checked the tyre pressures so its good to jump on a ride. This morning before heading off to the gym something made me check the tyre pressure...16psi in the front and fecking 14psi in the rear!!! :wtf: :wtf:
Stuck some air in and surprise surprise it sails round corners now! Note to self trust no one else with the checks to my bike in future. But it does make me wonder if he couldn't get the tyre pressure right what else hasn't he done.
Flash by name, flash by nature! Woof!

Graham
VTRDark

Re: Tyre pressure

Post by VTRDark »

:eek2 Did he think you where going out on track or something. I think that may even be a bit low for track but I'm no expert on track days, and those pressures are the wrong way around.

These bikes are very sensitive to pressure changes and the steering is usually the first place it's felt, not to mention fuel consumption. The manual says 36psi front and 42 rear but this is obviously for the average weight Jap rider, so give or take a few PSI.

There's a lot to be said for doing all your own work on any vehicle.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

Wouldn't be that low even for a track, was running 30/30 on my trackday and a mate who regularly runs in the fast pack rarely goes below 28 on either wheel!

Madness
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

I run 32F 36R on road :thumbup:

Might be worth checking your pressures again before your next ride just in case, but most likely he didn't check em :(
Jamie :wave:
Lord Flasheart

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Well I'm a big ol boy so might up the psi a bit, but just having then at what the workshop manual says is soooo much better!

I'm planning on doing Jamoi, best not have a slow puncher in both tyres :roll:

I do have another question, when I'm sat at 70ish in top and I roll on the throttle for an overtake the bike seems to struggle and chug a bit (for lack of a better description). Now I guessing this isn't normal? I'm also going to have a stab in the dark that this could be caused from the fact the previous owner has put race cans on (which are stamped not for road use) and not had the bike set up properly?
Ideas anyone?

Graham
Virt

Post by Virt »

Lord Flasheart wrote: I'm planning on doing Jamoi
Oi, back off. He's mine :lol:
Lord Flasheart wrote: I do have another question, when I'm sat at 70ish in top and I roll on the throttle for an overtake the bike seems to struggle and chug a bit (for lack of a better description). Now I guessing this isn't normal? I'm also going to have a stab in the dark that this could be caused from the fact the previous owner has put race cans on (which are stamped not for road use) and not had the bike set up properly?
Ideas anyone?
Could be, mine doesn't struggle at all there :confused
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Lord Flasheart

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Virt wrote:
Oi, back off. He's mine :lol:
Warned and taken note :thumbup: :lol:
Virt wrote: Could be, mine doesn't struggle at all there :confused
I seem to have a knack of buying things with something wrong (like the time in thailand :flasher:) especially things with engines in them!

Graham
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Lord Flasheart wrote:Well I'm a big ol boy so might up the psi a bit, but just having then at what the workshop manual says is soooo much better!
As part of the big guy club , though I am down to 16 stone now..... I run 36f 42r rear on the street with no traction issues, While I'm an old slow guy, some folks say I ride rater briskly. :angel:

Lord Flasheart wrote:I do have another question, when I'm sat at 70ish in top and I roll on the throttle for an overtake the bike seems to struggle and chug a bit (for lack of a better description). Now I guessing this isn't normal? I'm also going to have a stab in the dark that this could be caused from the fact the previous owner has put race cans on (which are stamped not for road use) and not had the bike set up properly?
Ideas anyone?
Always hard to tune over the net and without know what has been done to the bike but by your description it sounds like you are rich on the top end.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Lord Flasheart

Post by Lord Flasheart »

8541Hawk wrote: Always hard to tune over the net and without know what has been done to the bike but by your description it sounds like you are rich on the top end.
Is that something I can easily have a play about with on my own or is it a garage job? I've not done much mechanical work, but I'm always happy to give stuff a go.

Graham
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

but by your description it sounds like you are rich on the top end.
It could be either really. Like you say it's hard over the net, but my first thought was lean surge. :lol: It could even be the vacuum diaphragm beginning to play up.

Start with checking your air filter and make sure that's clean. Is it standard? :Shrug: You could try pulling the choke out a tad (and I mean ever so slightly or it will just flood). The choke is actually an enricher so adds fuel to the mix so you can determine if lean or rich. If it improves then your lean, if it gets worse then your rich. Note this will have an effect on other parts of the rev range so ignore that if OK normally and worry about the area you think there is an issue.

But in all honesty you don't really know where you stand until you know what work if any has been done to the carbs. Also 70ish in top IMO is too high a gear, especially for an overtake. Your lugging it, go give it some revs.

Lord Flasheart

Post by Lord Flasheart »

See I did just wonder if I was in to high a gear. I'm still getting used to which gear is best for what, only having been on my 600 which need's 2 gears down for an overtake. Couple that with the my first time on the storm I went from I think 4th to 2nd and whipped the throttle open and almost crapped myself when the front came up...I'm a little cautious!

I'll have a look at the air filter when I do the CCT's. The bloke I bought it from said he's serviced it for the last 10 years and as far as he knew then only thing that's not standard is the exhausts and the bodywork bling bits. But seeing as he got the tyre pressures so wrong do I still trust what he says...

Graham
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Couple that with the my first time on the storm I went from I think 4th to 2nd and whipped the throttle open and almost crapped myself
Yeh don't drop down too much :eek2 especially at low speeds. If you do get up into the high revs, 7000 ish the bike turns into a different animal so go easy.

Lord Flasheart

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Well I've only been back on bikes for 18ish months after a 10 year gap after an argument with a range rover when I was 17 on my little 125. So yeah, I'm taking it slow and steady...for now! But the storms a tease, and the noise just eggs you on!

Graham
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

I must be doing something wrong, as I run 42 on the front and 45 on the rear, as I found the bike was difficult to steer so raising the pressure helped.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

At 19 stone I find 36f and 42r just fine for the road .

It may even need the carbs balanced .
6th gear I only ever use on the motorway as it's to tall of a gear to have fun with .